baby cereal and rice

my son is 3 months old and his doctor told me not to give it to him until he was 4 months old but he acts like he is starving right after a bottle! how old was your baby when you gave him/her rice or cereal?

EheartsZ07

Asked by EheartsZ07 at 7:35 PM on Mar. 31, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• We started mixing rice cereal with my beastmilk when DD was about 3 months old because she would spit up alot after each feeding. I never did what the Drs. said, I always just went with my own mommy instinct. ;) Do what YOU feel comfortable doing!
    wishwish

Answer by wishwish at 7:37 PM on Mar. 31, 2010

• Never. That stuff has no taste and can cause upset stomachs and constipation. She didn't get solids until 6 months.
    Anonymous

• The doctor told us to do it at 4 months too
    BrittanyD07

Answer by BrittanyD07 at 7:40 PM on Mar. 31, 2010

• i gave my son rice cereal at 4 months. i tried it twice in the bottle when he was younger, and it did absolutley nothing so dont even bother. and 3 months i think is pushing it to start spoon feeding. just wait until around 4 months, mix the milk or formula in a pan with baby fruit and then mix it with the rice cereal. give him some plain fruit too. start with 1-2 tablespoons & then go up 1-2 everyday. make it fun & happy by making choo choo noises & etc. & dont give up.
    if hes acting like hes starving after a bottle, maybe he needs more bottle.
    dont worry, before you know it he'll be eating & sleeping through the night!! your almost there!!
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 7:42 PM on Mar. 31, 2010

• If he's hungrier than what you're feeding him now, why not? Just add some to the formula or breast milk, what ever you use....and see how he does.
    clhadley

Answer by clhadley at 7:51 PM on Mar. 31, 2010

• Four months minimum is recommended because the digestive system is better prepared. Ntroducing it too early *could* open you to a new world of troubles. Needing to give a little more formula isn't all that bad, right?

Never did cereal here. Except when my parakeet was sick..the vet actually recommended it!

Answer by gdiamante at 7:53 PM on Mar. 31, 2010

• At about two months. It only causes constipation if you give large amounts. I only give it twice a day and in very small amounts. It does not make babies sick, it does not cause food allergies even though some people on here swear it does.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 8:00 PM on Mar. 31, 2010

• Feed him more often. Or feed him more formula.
    whiteroses82

Answer by whiteroses82 at 8:08 PM on Mar. 31, 2010

• I would think more formula would be better. I know doctors are still saying four months, but research shows that it's actually better to wait until six months to start solids because your baby's digestive system just isn't ready yet.
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 8:12 PM on Mar. 31, 2010

• http://www.lpch.org/DiseaseHealthInfo/HealthLibrary/newborn/nfantfed.html

TAKEN DIRECTLY FROM THE SITE:
    Starting your baby on solid food too early increases the chance that he/she may develop a food allergy.

Wildflowers is wrong.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 8:20 PM on Mar. 31, 2010