Daughter has bruise on her face...will CPS be called on me???

I have no idea whatsoever how my daughter (21 months) got a bruise on her face. It looks like she fell and hit the side of the love seat, because the scar is vertical and about 2 inches long. I remember her falling and crying a bit, but she shook it off and resumed her play. I noticed the bruise when she was taking her bath.

I was planning to take her to the mall tomorrow, but now I'm having second thoughts! Do you think someone would call CPS on me, on the suspicion of abuse? It's sad that I have to ask these questions, but in this day and age, it's necessary.

Thank you.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:40 PM on Mar. 31, 2010 in General Parenting

• My poor baby has three owies on his face this week, all self induced. He climbed in a bin and tried to jump out on his knees, I don't know how he possibly thought he could do it, maybe he thinks he is super baby. Anyway he jumped and fell and hit his nose, right between the eyes and now has a big bruise there. He also was chasing his big brother and fell and got a bit of rug burn in his temple. Then he pulled the cats tail and the cat scratched him on the chin.
    I have been leery to take him into public too, because you never know what kind of nuts are out there who would call cps. Most people know toddlers get injuries, but some are just cps happy.
    I have nothing to hide, so I try not to worry about it.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 8:22 PM on Mar. 31, 2010

• I wouldn't think so. I would say that if it happens over and over and over and people take notice, someone might be concerned, but nah....babies fall and get bruises all the time.
    clhadley

Answer by clhadley at 7:45 PM on Mar. 31, 2010

• Well, you just never know what people might think and do. If they are called on you, they will just come to your house and then you can prove that she is not being abused.
    My sons SCHOOL called on me because he went to school with a black eye. This is AFTER the teacher called and asked me how he got it. He got it at his dads house when he was wrestling with his dad and step brother.Even after telling them that, they still called.It was ridiculous but in a way, I can understand because you just never know if a child may truly be being abused or not.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 7:45 PM on Mar. 31, 2010

• poor baby, what a trooper. I doubt that anyone will say anything. Accidents happen all the time!!! My son when he was a little over a year feel and hit the outside faucet inbewteen his eyes. It was badly bruised and there was a huge gash. He even has a scar from it. Don't worry.
    Precious333

Answer by Precious333 at 7:45 PM on Mar. 31, 2010

• Not likely. Toddlers and accidents go together.

Answer by gdiamante at 7:46 PM on Mar. 31, 2010

• oh no,dont worry about it, my almost now 2 yr old has brusies all the time on her head.cps is only caled when someone has seen u being mean to ur child.no one even thinks about brusies on babies that way.if they smile at her or talk to her just say yeah she feel but didnt cry.
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 8:24 PM on Mar. 31, 2010

• go to a health food store and buy Arnica, it helps with bruising and pain.
    Anonymous

• You need to take a deep breath and calm down!!!! My gosh, if I didn't go out and worried about CPS being called on me everytime my kid had a bruise, I would never have gone out in the 13 yrs he has been alive. If someone calls because your toddler has a bruise on her cheek, they have issues. Lead your normal life and don't worry about what other people may or may not do. Kids, espeically toddlers, get all kinds of bruises, bumps, scrapes, etc. I work at a preschool and we had a little girl come in with a black eye and we didn't call CPS, we asked her what happened and then asked the parents, seperately. and were satisfied with the explanation. You are worrying too much

Answer by tyfry7496 at 8:53 PM on Mar. 31, 2010

• Most pediatricians will tell you that a toddler without bruises is what is odd. They will also tell you that bruises from accidents look a LOT different than bruises incurred from abuse.

My daughter has these thin chicken legs, and she bruises very easily. If she so much as bumps into something, she bruises. Her legs are often a pale shade of grey/purple/yellow in the summer. Don't worry about it. Unless you do illegal things:)
    Fawn80

Answer by Fawn80 at 9:22 PM on Mar. 31, 2010

• no I doubt cps will be called. If it was recurring and they had other reasons like constant screaming and crying heard from the house or other recurring obvious abuse marks on the body then people might get suspicious, but I wouldnt worry!
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 10:13 PM on Mar. 31, 2010