Has Obama evolved?

In June 2008, then-Sen. Obama told reporters in Jacksonville, Florida, "when I'm president, I intend to keep in place the moratorium here in Florida and around the country that prevents oil companies from drilling off Florida's coasts. That's how we can protect our coastline and still make the investments that will reduce our dependence on foreign oil and bring down gas prices for good."

In July 2008, he said, of lifting moratoriums on offshore drilling, that "if there were real evidence that these steps would actually provide real, immediate relief at the pump and advance the long-term goal of energy independence, of course I'd be open to them. But so far there isn't."

March 2010, "To set America on a path to energy independence, the President believes we must leverage our diverse domestic resources by pursuing a comprehensive energy strategy."

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:55 PM on Mar. 31, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• http://blogs.abcnews.com/politicalpunch/2010/03/president-obama-drill-baby-drill-.html
    Anonymous

• Everyone evolves, and only a person without sense is utterly incapable of changing their point of view. EVERYONE goes through changes.

Answer by gdiamante at 7:56 PM on Mar. 31, 2010

• Nope not one bit. He is trying to make the uneducated think he is doing something admirable for the right reason.
    Sure we need to drill but he knows it will be ages till they can dig through the red tape 2012 to be exact and maybe longer
    because there will be so many lawsuits from the econonuts. He is only interested in getting his job killing cap and trade through the senate which he could not do last year.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 8:04 PM on Mar. 31, 2010

• Nope. He is looking for a way to get his cap and trade.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 8:10 PM on Mar. 31, 2010

• obama is a douche bag and I cant wait until he is done being president.
    Alexsmom04

Answer by Alexsmom04 at 8:38 PM on Mar. 31, 2010

• He hasn't evolved. It's about playing the game of politics.
    dandydiane

Answer by dandydiane at 8:43 PM on Mar. 31, 2010

• 100% about-face is not evolving.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 9:03 PM on Mar. 31, 2010

• I agree with dandydiane -- it's just politics, nothing more, nothing less. It means nothing.
    29again

Answer by 29again at 9:39 PM on Mar. 31, 2010

• Well I would LOVE for us to do more of our own drilling. But this speaks volumes! I wonder if this is Obama's plan from the get go to take over the oil companies.

"And guess what this liberal would be all about? This liberal would be all about socialize -- uh, uh, would be about basically taking over and the government running all of your companies." Waters (to President of Shell Oil, John Hofmeister)
    Crissy1213

Answer by Crissy1213 at 9:40 PM on Mar. 31, 2010

• No. He just needs something to point to this summer when gas prices jump back up. This way he'll be able to tell us all that he's doing something about it.
    HistoryMamaX3

Answer by HistoryMamaX3 at 10:00 PM on Mar. 31, 2010