Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What would you do with a son that is 7 years old and scares you to death.

He is a very violent boy. I am a small petite woman, and he is almost the size of me. He is abusive to me and his brother. I am afraid to touch him(punish) because he threatens to call the cops on me. He breaks my things and his brothers. He is verbally abusive also. He has no father around now, he is serving a 25 year prison term. He is taking this out on me, blaming me for his dad being gone. I have put him in counseling, but he acts "good" for them.

Answer Question

Asked by LittleT2 at 7:55 PM on Mar. 31, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

Level 1 (0 Credits)
Answers (14)
  • I think things have gone way too far if you are terrified of your own child.

    Answer by mommaplaysbass at 7:57 PM on Mar. 31, 2010

  • Honestly?? Put him in the mental hospital until he can calm down. But that's if he were mine. it's something I've had to think about. Have him evaluated by a psychologist or developmental pediatrician. Right now you're kind of screwed because he knows you won't touch him. Let him call the cops and let the cops see what he has done. What's the worst that can happen?? Say you love him enough to get him help and do it.

    Answer by 2autisticsmom at 8:00 PM on Mar. 31, 2010

  • aww, that sounds sad. It sounds like he is going through a really rough period. But heres my advice on the being afraid him part...nip that in the bud..NOW.He is only going to get older and bigger and stronger, if you give him that upper hand no wat the age of 7, can you imagine how he will be at 15,16? Not good, ma. Stand up to your son,he needs to learn to respect adults, especially you as his mother.My son is just about the same size as me now,I'm not that big..and he is 10. He has attempted to get in my face before. Was I scared? Hell no. I brought his ass in this world, I'll take his ass out, my mom used to say to me.
    I understand him going thru some rough times son did too after his father and I divorced then his dad moved to another state.He needs you NOW more than ever.Don't fail him, love him enough to punish him when he acts like that...or the consequences will be out of your hands one day.

    Answer by kimberlyinberea at 8:00 PM on Mar. 31, 2010

  • video tape his outbursts without him knowing just in case he tries to call the cops on you.

    Answer by TMJ121099 at 8:04 PM on Mar. 31, 2010

  • Just so you son is my height...he is older too. He one time raised his fist to me...I immediately grabbed his arm, spun him around and held him on the bed until he calmed down. Then, I calmly spanked him something awful. And, had he ever threatened to call CPS on me..I already informed him that once that call goes through...I will be going to jail, because I will give CPS a reason to investigate. He has since learned how to act. Your son needs to be scared straight. He will only continue to get bigger and more vicious the longer you don't take have let it get out of hand and now you need to reign it back in.

    Answer by BradenIsMySon at 8:06 PM on Mar. 31, 2010

  • I agree, poor boy! How scared he must be to be acting like that.
    Kids need boundries and to know you're in charge - and if you don't know how to do that, I suggest strongly you get counseling aswell. I am not trying to be mean, I know it is not easy, but you have to realize how important it is to his future, to get set straight.
    Soon he'll be too big for you to handle, and imagine when he hits puberty w/ all the raging hormones. You need to do something RIGHT NOW!
    I have NO idea where you are going to get the help, but maybe you could talk to someone at his school?
    Good Luck.

    Answer by Nynne at 8:13 PM on Mar. 31, 2010

  • My grandma was a tiny woman, just short of 5foot and 93lbs. Her sons were are giants, all over 6foot and big guys. My grandma never took any of their shit. They were scared of was this tiny little bird and had these huge hulking son's and they were afraid to cross her. I do think it is time to stop that behavior NOW. Like the other ladies have said, he is only going to get bigger and stronger.
    If you show him you are scared he will have the power, he will know he can intimidate you and will continue to do so. Stand your ground and show him he doesn't scare you, even if he does, don't let him know it.
    I love what BradenisMySon said, about how if he calls cps, that you will give them a reason to investigate.

    Answer by SleepingBeautee at 8:14 PM on Mar. 31, 2010

  • You could call the cops on him durring these outbursts. Unrully minor. They could at least talk to him for you

    Answer by Jjoneslagrange at 8:16 PM on Mar. 31, 2010

  • You need to get family counseling as well as individual... but I can tell you right now if one of my kids ever put their hands on me like that (or a smaller sibling) they'd better paralyze me or kill me cause if not I'll kick their a**-- and then hand them the phone to call cps-- I'm a nurse the number is programmed they wont even have to call information and I am not joking--serious as a heart attack

    anyhow-- there is this book magic 1,2,3 by thomas phalan who also has another book for people in your situation--- I've heard wonderful things about it and it is the book the mental health division of my ER recommends to parents in your situation-- but personally I"d kick my kids a** and I"m not a hitter-- time outs here are very effective but if it ever did get to whats going on with you no doubt in my mind --they'd better put me out

    Answer by MELRN at 8:18 PM on Mar. 31, 2010

  • WHOOP his ass im not kidding either he wants to cal lthe cops let him... he has to get to the phone first right? you need to show him who has the upper hand..i wait for the day i say im scared to punish my daughter mmhm

    Answer by mommy16love at 8:22 PM on Mar. 31, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.