Can anyone find/know the exact law on this?

OK so I live in KY. I work at a daycare,so we are not some big corporation. Ive worked there off adn on for 5 years. Our policyhas always been each year you work there you receive a week (the avg of your hours) in vacation time. Well now they decided to change the policy. Vacation time will be allotted depending on if you are considered full time or part time. I should let you know i'm an employee that opens, closes, trains, is trusted with a key and money, etc. And today they tell me your going to be considered part time because "if your fiance said your moving tomro you would go". My fiance is in the army...yes there is a chance at some point in the future I would have to move but that is none of there business. I do more and get more hours than some of the people they are considering full time simply because they have no future plans for their lives. CONT.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:56 PM on Mar. 31, 2010 in Money & Work

• So basicly I'm supposed to go on working above and beyond as usuall and recieve less perks/vacation time. So can anyone find me the law to throw in their face on this one??
    JocelynsMama1

Answer by JocelynsMama1 at 7:59 PM on Mar. 31, 2010

• The Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) does not define full-time employment or part-time employment. This is a matter generally to be determined by the employer. Whether an employee is considered full-time or part-time does not change the application of the FLSA.
    mommaplaysbass

Answer by mommaplaysbass at 8:07 PM on Mar. 31, 2010

• I'm a military spouse, and I can tell you that sadly, this is not uncommon. Military spouses are often discriminated against as far as job opportunities, promotions, even getting hired, etc goes. They are working on changing this and have been for yrs, but unfortunately it's not fixed yet, and what has been fixed about it only applies to spouses, not fiancees.

I'm sorry :-( The only other thing I can think is that you can try explaining to them that yes, he's military, but they don't move families at the drop of a hat, and even if you got married tomorrow, it would take time to set up the pack out, etc, to move you. And that you assure them that, when and if you're leaving, you will give them as much advance notice as you have (and explain, again, that you're talking a month or more of notice)...

cont
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 8:08 PM on Mar. 31, 2010

• cont

If they still keep doing this, then might have to say "I'm sorry, but since you don't seem to trust my work ethic enough to not abandon you, and you don't value my work enough to treat me like the other employees, I'm going to have to find another job." Then find another job.

Oh, and btw - if you like working in child care, once you guys get married (or, if there's a base near you, maybe you could look into it already if you want), but the CDC (which is the base Child Development Centers), are ALWAYS looking for people. Plus, there is a huge demand for home day care operators in the military as well.

Good luck!
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 8:11 PM on Mar. 31, 2010

• http://kentucky.gov/business/Pages/bus_lawsregs.aspx

http://www.labor.ky.gov/ows/employmentstandards/lawsregs.htm

These are links from the official site for Kentucky. Personally, I would say if you work full time hours you should get full time benefits, but I have no idea how the state of Kentucky would address that. I hope those links help a little.
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 8:11 PM on Mar. 31, 2010