What do you do when you have a son on the pump, who's 14, and lies about what his sugar is when you ask him?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:18 PM on Mar. 31, 2010 in Kids' Health

• take him back to his doctor --you express your concerns and let the doctor make a decision with your 14 year old about what to do
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 8:20 PM on Mar. 31, 2010

• See if the dr can scare him straight.
    Anonymous

• Being type 2 myself, I ask this, is he suppose to be doing daily tests? and if he is...does he have a booklet he keeps track of the results in? I would think that the doctor would require it so they can see what his glucose is doing on a daily basis. You could mention this to his doctor on the side and then have the doctor get on his case. I have a 25 yr old son, I know that you're right in the middle of the "I'm smarter then my mother..so why listen to her" thing. Mine didn't get over that til he went off to the Navy, even told me he was sorry once for treating me like crap for years. Wish I could have gotten that in writing! lol
    daisy521

Answer by daisy521 at 8:46 PM on Mar. 31, 2010

• even if he is on the pump, he should still be testing daily... my husband has a few... and they all have a memory!! The doctor and nutritionist may need to speak with ihm about the consiquences of not controlling his diabeties. But in the end, he has to make the decision to controll it. My best friend was diagnosed iwth type one in 6th grade, her parents tryed to control it for her and it made her rebell. it almost became a game to see how high she could get her sugar before her parents tested her. She would sneek candy, bread, anything to spike it. At one point they finally handed her the meter and told her that this was her life, her health and it was her responsibility. It took about a year for her to get it through her head, but eventually she did. Same with my husband, I tried to control his diet and check his meter to make sure he was doing it all right... eventually that backfired. I finally got it through...
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 12:49 PM on Apr. 1, 2010

• my head that I could not control this for him, he had to do it himself. Its taken a while but slowly he has made several changes. In the end, he needs to understand that this is his health. Have his docter spell out the consiquences have his nutritionist explain it all again, at 14 he is the one feeling the consiquences.. it may take a bit, but he needs to take this on for himself.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 12:52 PM on Apr. 1, 2010

• Take him to the Dr, tell the Dr what you are going through with him and see if there is any way he can help or get your son to tell you the truth.
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 10:39 AM on Sep. 15, 2010