Hey mom's just have a question about....

my 16 month old....lately she has been very ornery and hitting me. I don't hit her, I don't allow her to watch any violence on T.V. if she does watch T.V. it's yo gabba gabba, sesame street and wonder pets. She has been a little meanie and making a mean face and making a emmm sound lol.....she so cute but I'm just a little worried. Have any of you mommy's been through anything like this with your child? and can you tell me if it's just a phase. Thanks.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:38 PM on Mar. 31, 2010 in General Parenting

• Remember, 16 month olds lack the vocabulary and the emotional IQ to verbalize their emotions. However, that doesn't mean they aren't feeling them. When a young toddler gets frustrated or tired or sad or mad they don't have the words or 'know-how' to handle it. They will tantrum. They will lash out in some form. It's a normal developmental stage. As whiteroses82 said, though, being normal doesn't mean you ignore it. Listen, kids can be pretty darn funny when they're ticked off or trying to look mean - BUT, you can't laugh and you can't react in any way that implies "This is good." You respond in a firm, stern voice "No. Do not hit." Then give her the vocabulary she needs to handle her frustration better. "I know you're mad you can't have that toy now. I'm sorry. That doesn't make it ok to be mean."
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 9:58 AM on Apr. 1, 2010

• Op here~ I also would like to say that she is not in daycare or around any other kids beside her older brother and sissy but Im always around them as well and they don't hit her or treat her mean in any way.
    Anonymous

• its just a phase. i dont know what kid doesnt go through it
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 8:41 PM on Mar. 31, 2010

• Op here~ She is only 16 months tho...is that normal for that age group?
    Anonymous

• It is normal. She's constantly discovering new noises, faces, and ways to get you to react. I'll bet you kind of smile and laugh when she does it because it is just too darn cute. My kids all did that one (I have 4 that are now 20, 20, 15, and almost 13). It might have been something she saw on one of her harmless TV programs. Next time she does it...laugh and tickle her to change her demeanor.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 9:39 PM on Mar. 31, 2010

• It is normal, but remember that doesn't mean you just let her go on and be a meanie! It's normal in that it's something all toddlers experiement with, and you can guide them away from that behavior, gently.
    whiteroses82

Answer by whiteroses82 at 9:01 AM on Apr. 1, 2010