What is life really like when your husband is a marine?

MomofLeo

Asked by MomofLeo at 9:07 PM on Mar. 31, 2010 in Relationships

• Difficult. Marines are a different breed, that's for sure. Deployments suck, training sucks, work hours aren't set, PTSD runs high, marriages suffer, there can be a lot of cheating (on both sides) and sometimes military wives are just annoying. But if you're willing to be as stubborn as your Marine, it can be great.
    kittyhasclaws

Answer by kittyhasclaws at 9:19 PM on Mar. 31, 2010

• My hubby isn't a marine, but is a Warrent Officer and in flight school for the army. And military life is hard. I haven't seen him, which means he hasn't seen the babies since January 2. He isn't deployed, just training. But it does take a special and strong woman to make it with a military man. I do know that!!
    MissHeidi0304

Answer by MissHeidi0304 at 9:24 PM on Mar. 31, 2010

• Shitty, the worst life I can imagine. The benefits don't outweigh the downside. The medical is some of the worst I've ever encountered. If you live on a military base your basica rights, freedoms and protections we expect as American's won't be enforced. The only rules on the base on the ones put on you by the base commander. The water is usally bad, usually has a ton of lead it in. It's a stand of you can fight for the freedom of this country but you're not going to enjoy any of the benefits. Then there's other fact of like you never see your husband. They say they care about families but really don't give a rats ass. My son is one and a half and only sees his dad one a week or so. They have work so much and such long hours it's ridiculous. The good news is the war is winding down so you don't have to worry about deployments ever 7 months. There are good things like you always get a paycheck, and a place to live. good luck.
    Anonymous

• first of all it does depend on the rank of your husband. if he happens to b the base commander, or a field grade officer, ie Major or more, u r in a much better position to have an overall better life because u hv access to more and better housing, medical is better, pay and social life is better-- just because your husband is someone important. but if u have a problem with him say he is abusive and u need help u r in a terrible spot because no one wants to get involved with a man who outranks them when they have to say that the guy is not doing what he should, especially in reference to his wife. it can b a good life if the man is suited for it, has a good education and is an outerall good guy. the divorce rate is high and the guys have access to women who fall all over them, especially when in uniform if the man allows it. just as with every other career, there r good and bad points. it can go either way.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:57 AM on Apr. 1, 2010

• I can honestly say, we miss the lifestyle. It was comforting to know we always had a paycheck & health insurance. We enjoyed traveling during a 96. Pre-deployment training & deployments aren't fun but they don't last forever. I don't think the hours were that bad, my husband was usually home at 4-5pm. If he had duty at the barracks, I took him & the single guys dinner. We had lunch together once a week at his shop. His unit was very small & all the wives were friends, despite rank. Every month we'd get together as a group-before & during deployments. The ladies also did stuff individually for each other & the guys. We liked the freedom & extra money we had living off base. We didn't overspend, so we never needed assistance. The paycheck isn't super-high but it's livable if you make it. Marines are proud & can be a bit cocky but that's what makes them Marines. They're really loyal too.
    RugersMommy06

Answer by RugersMommy06 at 1:27 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

• I knew more women that cheated then men. Most work hard & play hard, especially the single guys. I do know we made friends for life & we still keep in touch-my husband has been out for over 4 years already. I liked the commissary, PX & Annex benefits too. Military discounts on vacations & products you buy. It all kind out outweighs the bad or annoying things. I would say 90% was good about the military & 10% bad. It made our marriage way stronger-if we made it through life in the Corps, we can make it through anything. Good luck.
    RugersMommy06

Answer by RugersMommy06 at 1:31 PM on Apr. 19, 2010