Stay @ home mom or working mom?

I just want to know is it better being a stay at home mom or a working mom. I just want to know which is better because I am makeing a dicision soon. :- ) and no wise cracks!!!!!!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:09 PM on Mar. 31, 2010 in Money & Work

• Ask ten moms, get ten answers. There is no one correct answer for all people.

For ME, working is better because staying home makes me absolutely NUTS. And I had thought I wanted to stay home. But when we tried it, no one liked it...least of all the son that I was staying home for in the first place!

Your mileage WILL vary. You have to look at YOUR unique situation. Do you like working? Is your job something that challenges you and keeps you interested above and beyond the paycheck? Is it something you would do for FREE? If so...then you may be better off working.

Or do you hate working and the only good thing about the job is the paycheck? Would you throw a party if the business blew up or everyone you work with fell off the face of the earth? Do you rush to get home eveyr night because you cannot wait to get away from the job? That's a pretty good indicator that you should stay home.

All that aside from finances.

Answer by gdiamante at 9:14 PM on Mar. 31, 2010

• I don't think anyone can really answer that for you...its a very personal decision to make.
    There are pros and cons with each choice,just try to figure out what is besst for you and your family.
    I was a working mom for 9 years now I am a stay at home mom.
    Each time,each decision was based on what I was able to do at that time and what me and my SO decided together what would be the best thing to do. I guess you can kinda call me a work at home mom though because I do make money at home, I babysit for a few families and run a babysitting service, I run ads and stuff.
    ANYWAY...I don't think one is better than the other...its just what fits YOU the best. Good Luck! :)
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 9:16 PM on Mar. 31, 2010

• It depends on your personality. I personally need to work outside the house or I get very depressed. But some women feel guilty about leaving the kids.
    Anonymous

• I had worked with special needs children for 5 years before having my first, who is now 19 months. Plus I have a 6 month old. I stay at home with them. And although some days I think, what the hell....it is well worth it. I feel bad for anyone who has to work and send their baby or babies to daycare. Now, if they are at a family members being babysat it would be a little different. But from the age of birth to 3 or 4 I am greatful I have the opportunity to be with them. I worked in daycare as a preschool teacher for 3 years prior to working with special needs kids, so I understand the social benefits. However while they are babies and toddlers I have chose the be with me. Now I do take them out to play with other children and infants. Spend time with other family and friends too. I would be exhausted if I had to work 8 hr days, plus get children ready and transport them around. All that's left in the evening is....
    MissHeidi0304

Answer by MissHeidi0304 at 9:19 PM on Mar. 31, 2010

• I'm a SAHM. I chose to be one because I didn't want strangers raising our boys. Also financially we can afford for me to stay home. I also feel it's what's best for our boys. Everyone has a different situation. I think it's something you and your SO/Hubby should discuss, because on here you're going to get answers like mine and then they will swing in a whole other direction.....GL
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 9:20 PM on Mar. 31, 2010

• ....dinner and bath. To me these next few years are irreplacable. But as the first girl said, it is your decision for your personality type. I did work part time from the time my first was 4 to 8 months and decided it wasn't worth it. Some days I miss the interaction with lots of people, but that time will come again all too soon. Good luck with your decision!!!
    MissHeidi0304

Answer by MissHeidi0304 at 9:20 PM on Mar. 31, 2010

• Don't feed the troll.
    Anonymous

• There is no better or worse. It depends on the woman. What works for one may not work for another.
    DawnA72

Answer by DawnA72 at 9:29 PM on Mar. 31, 2010

• I think stay home for the first year and then if you have someone you can trust to watch your baby then I'd say work part time only. I stay home because I didn't want to put our baby in daycare. My mom works and my MIL wasn't interested in babysitting even for pay so I quit my job. I do miss working sometimes but I think IMO it would be hard for me to work full time and still take care of the house duties. When our daughter starts preschool I am hoping to find a part time job so I can have some me time back.
    MLM0503

Answer by MLM0503 at 9:40 PM on Mar. 31, 2010

• it really depends on your situation! if you can comfortably live off of one income, staying at home will work for you. We decided my staying at home was what was best because of SO's hours, plus I'd rather raise my son than daycare (not bashing anyone). Budgets are tight, but we manage just fine! and I love being a sahm! I ge tto spend time with my son, clean the home to make it a "home", I take my son to the park or to playdates all the time...wonderful life :)
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 10:08 PM on Mar. 31, 2010