If I plan to continue breastfeeding my son after he is a year old am I still souppose to give him cows milk?

He will be 1 at the end of this month. Do I still need to give him cow's milk?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:32 PM on Mar. 31, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I would think you can offer it in a cup if he wants it, if he doesn't I wouldn't see why that would be a big deal.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 9:35 PM on Mar. 31, 2010

• I nursed till age 2 but still offered milk and let him get a taste for it, put it in cereal, etc.
    Anonymous

• Cow's milk is baby food for calves. People can eat dairy products if they want to, but there is no need. Just like all the other foods he won't necessarily eat until he's 6 or 20, he doesn't have any reason to 'get used to the taste'.

Breastmilk is the best food for your baby, and you can add any other whole food you want to his diet now or at any time in the future. Including cow's milk. Not too much, though --it's horrifically high in sodium and calcium which in large doses are hard on little kidneys.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 9:54 PM on Mar. 31, 2010

• If he eats any yogurt, cheese or green leafy veggies, he never has to even have cow's milk. You can give him some after a year, but, it really isn't a NEED....
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:06 PM on Mar. 31, 2010

• I don't think you need to give cow's milk if you don't want to I think it's fine if you would like to as well. If you are planning on giving him cows milk in the near future I would probably give small amounts so he gets use to the taste.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 11:11 PM on Mar. 31, 2010

• My son is (almost) 19 months old and still nursing. We offer him cows milk periodically, but he only drinks it at daycare. He likes to nurse, sometimes he gets frustrated. Like, he expects to get all of his liquids from me, but it doesn't work out that way. My supply has decreased as he has gotten older, so sometimes, I'll let him nurse, then when he keeps persisting, I will give him a cup and he often times drinks a lot. He prefers pedia sure though, flavored liquid. I guess because breastmilk is sweet. He is on the small side, so the extra calories from pediasure do him good.
    eastonbennett

Answer by eastonbennett at 5:10 AM on Apr. 1, 2010