What do you do for Summer Camp?

My son is 6 years old and deciding how to keep him entertained for the summer is a task that has recently consumed me. What do you do for Summer Camp? How did you decide on your camp/program?

Cafe Chastity

Asked by Cafe Chastity at 9:35 PM on Mar. 31, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Check your school district they often have summer programs. 

Swap one day a week with another mom (you babysit her son, she babysit yours) it won't cost and will keep the kids busy for two days a week. 

Here are some boredom buster ideas if you run low on ideas of stuff to do when he is not at camp http://www.cjkidz.com/Summerfun.html

momjs

Answer by momjs at 2:45 PM on Apr. 4, 2010

• My kids never went to camp until they were teens. For summers, they did the same kinds of things they did on Saturdays the rest of the year... sometimes they took lessons, or went to parks, or hung out at the beach or slept in... played with neighbourhood kids...
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 9:49 PM on Mar. 31, 2010

• If you're interested in a day type camp I know the YMCA or Boys and Girls club has day camps that do all kinds of fun things. They don't stay over night so they're not as pricey but the kids still get to do all kinds of fun activities. I think that they might do an over night camping trip at the end but yours is so little I don't know what they do with the little ones.
    mrsjonzy

Answer by mrsjonzy at 10:09 PM on Mar. 31, 2010

• My kids went to daycamp for a week when they were younger at a non demoninational Christian camp - it's local. Once they hit 3rd grade, then went overnight for a week. It's the camp I went to when I was growing up and extremely popular around here. They are already signed up - around here the signups at most of the camps open in February and fill up fairly quickly at the most popular camps. They also do Vacation Bible School for a week at my church, which is half days for a week.

My oldest has autism, so he goes to a week long daycamp sponsored by the City Parks and Recreation Department. They also have tons of typical camps for all ages - I would just check with yours and see what they offer. Maybe you could coordinate with a friend of your child's to see if they could go together the same week? The years that I can afford it he has also gone to a 2 week daycamp at the Y. I just ask around for recommendations.

Answer by missanc at 8:57 AM on Apr. 1, 2010

• Mine went and currently go to YMCA Storer Camps. They have one in Michigan. My kids loved it. They go every summer for 12 nights. It has had a profound impact on their formative years. I cannot say enough good things about the place.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 10:57 AM on Apr. 1, 2010

• my girls are going to a camp that they have gone to for school field trips.

its one week, drop off 8am and pickup at 4.

its an art and nature camp
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 11:24 AM on Apr. 1, 2010