What can I do? bottle question

I have a 13 month old DD who is developmentally delayed along with a plethora of other health troubles. She has serious GI troubles which have led to her not being able to have solids right now, and is going to be on formula for another year. She has severe Hypotonia (low muscle tone) and that causes sucking troubles so she really struggles with a sippy cup. I am kind of concerned about her being on a bottle for another year, that is the only thing she can really drink out of. She is seeing a speech pathologist to help but so far she is struggling. Are there any bottles that wont be damaging to her mouth? I keep hearing that bottles are really bad if used too long and I dont want to cause anymore issues than she already has!

SweetPea05

Asked by SweetPea05 at 9:36 PM on Mar. 31, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Bottles are not really bad if used too long. Don't know who came up with that magical answer, but it's not true. Even thumbsucking isn't a problem for oral development until it goes on past 5 or 6 years, and thumbs have bones in them.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 9:47 PM on Mar. 31, 2010

• Really? I have been so worried about it because that seems to be what the women on here say whenever they see something about a child over one with a bottle... I just want to make sure her jaw and tongue and such dont develop anymore problems than they already have!
    SweetPea05

Answer by SweetPea05 at 9:54 PM on Mar. 31, 2010

• It's really mostly a case of the milk sitting too long in their mouth that is bad with the bottle. With bottle and pacifiers, they can cause issues, but, not at a rate as bad as it is made out to be. And considering your daughter and her needs, I would continnue as long as neccessary with the bottle.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:04 PM on Mar. 31, 2010

• What do you mean? Like them falling asleep with the bottle in their mouth with milk still in it?
    Ok, that makes me feel a little better, I was worried I was going to ruin her mouth.
    SweetPea05

Answer by SweetPea05 at 11:49 PM on Mar. 31, 2010