Grammar Nazi?!

Sorry, I just need to know that I'm not the only one out there. I get frustrated when I am trying to read a post/question and I can't make sense out of the words that are written. Usually it is due to poor spelling...but I've noticed so much bad punctuation as well. I would never bash someone that does this....but it's just frustrating because I don't know if I'm getting the point that the OP is trying to get across. I know I am imperfect too, that's not the point...I just wanted to know if anyone else out there has the same issue.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:51 PM on Mar. 31, 2010 in About CafeMom

• I am guilty of being a spelling/grammar nazi. I've tried to tone it down because it offends some people. However, I cannot stand it when somebody uses no grammar whatsoever! Commas can be tricky, I know, but you can use a few freakin' periods. I can't make any sense out of those. It's obvious who's put the effort in and who hasn't. We all make mistakes, including me, but spelling one or two words wrong or having the occasional typo versus spelling every word wrong like you're a 15 year old texting your "bff" is frustrating to the reader. I actually skip over some of my friends' facebook posts because they are written that way. ("nd" is not how you spell and!) Lastly, yes, my pet peeves are the all-too-common there/their/they're and you're/your grammatical errors. People try to act like it's no big deal, except, after reading these for SO LONG, I am now catching myself making these mistakes here and there.Grrr. I didn't before
    brookebella

Answer by brookebella at 11:52 AM on Apr. 1, 2010

• No need to be anonymous here. lol Be proud!

You are not alone, there a plenty of us that find it important. There are even a few groups here on CM devoted to this very thing!
    HistoryMamaX3

Answer by HistoryMamaX3 at 9:54 PM on Mar. 31, 2010

• No, and it's because I know what we're all doing while posting these. 80% of the time I have a baby jumping in my lap or the tv blaring in the background or some other distraction. I just want to get my question out or offer support to another mom that needs it. If I have the time to check over it a second time to see if there are any mistakes I would but most of the time I just don't. What does bother me is when people type in slang, like really what's wrong with them? If you went to school in America you should know how to speak English and write in the most basic form.
    mrsjonzy

Answer by mrsjonzy at 9:56 PM on Mar. 31, 2010

• There are bigger things in the world for me to worry about then people online with bad grammer and spelling. It does not bother me and I agree with mrsjonzy.
    If peoples grammer and spelling online realy bother you then I think you need to get a life and find bigger problems in the world
    hisblueeyes

Answer by hisblueeyes at 10:04 PM on Mar. 31, 2010

• funny reply hisblueeyes....it bothers me no matter what forum it is in. It could be here, at work, on a sign...anything. i DO have a life and have bigger problems to worry about. I DON'T "worry" about it. I just find that it sucks when I try to read a question that says something like "Who do the thing like that do it bug u when that hapen." I mean...if you think it, you should at least be able to write it properly...but, when I can't comprehend what the writer is actually saying because I am confused, I don't answer...which that person is missing out because guess what? I do have good advice and good ideas to give.
    Anonymous

• Yeah, it bugs me. I can get past minor spelling and grammar mistakes, but those posts that are unreadable due because every other word is misspelled or there is no punctuation or it's all in text-ese, make me crazy. And it is true that they are the ones missing out on a lot of good advice and help because no one knows what they are trying to say. It's not like it carries over into my "real" life, I just find it a little frustrating that so many people can't write a coherent post in what is presumably their native language.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 10:28 PM on Mar. 31, 2010

• Actualy, a study wuz done that concluded that you realy don't need too spel things corectly four peeple to reed it and understand what your tring to say. Unles your a editer of a magazeen, peeple don't useally look at everee word when they are reeding. They skim thru the words and the brain automaticly reeds the words corectly.

You see? :)
    legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 10:36 PM on Mar. 31, 2010

• There's a huge difference between a few grammar, spelling, and punctuation errors and lazy typing. Many of the people on here type like they're lazy or in junior high. I don't mind spelling errors and grammar errors because that implies someone actuallyl tried to use grammar. I DO mind people who just don't care to even try.

i mean if wuz gunna type like dis cuz i didn't wanna take time 2 rly spell it it makes it hard 2 read

but them sometimes i type like this because i only have 1 hand available type with, but at least it makes sense.

then theres this kind of typing that just runs on and on and theres no period comma question mark or an end and it just goes on and on and i cant figure it out because its just to much without a break

See what I mean?
    Anonymous