Washing hair is a disaster?

My 20 month old daughter used to like to get her hair washed, untill about a month ago, she hates it now. She breaks out into a blood curdling screams and shrieks. I cam't her to keep still during bath time. I don't put water on top of her head, I soap it up and then get the soap off with her wash rag. Any tips on making hair washing not ending up in broken ear drums???

leksismommy

Asked by leksismommy at 10:38 PM on Mar. 31, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• i'm going through the same thing....hopefully they'll get over it soon! lol
    sandypops

Answer by sandypops at 10:48 PM on Mar. 31, 2010

• i'd tell her to cooperate so i can get the yucky bugs out of her hair. she's more scared of bugs than water.
    Anonymous

• ha if you find the answer to that one let me friggin KNOW. my son in alittle over 2 and he screams and cries the second i start wetting his hair. i just do it fast and get it over with. i have tried talking to him. singing. i get side tracked because i cannot get him to calm down. idk what happened he wasn't hurt so idk? kids are strange. i keep hoping it's a phase
    MoMoFu

Answer by MoMoFu at 10:50 PM on Mar. 31, 2010

• I don't know if it will work for hair....but my 2-year-old would never let me wash his face and ears. SO, I put a train sticker on the ceiling over the bathtub and whenever I needed to wash his face I said "OOOOOHH look at the train!!" He'd get so distracted by the sticker he'd let me wash him.
    Slinkee

Answer by Slinkee at 10:52 PM on Mar. 31, 2010

• LOL Slinkee I love that!
    Anonymous

• Let them do it themselves. Ask to help.
    crazymom21

Answer by crazymom21 at 10:54 PM on Mar. 31, 2010

• See what she thinks of the shower. Some kids prefer it, although I could not figure out why.

You can wash her hair in the sink by lying her on her back on the counter beside it --it definitely keeps the water off her face and if you're careful out of her ears.

One of my kids always held a dry face cloth against her face while I was washing her hair.

Some kids find it easier to have their hair washed while they're facing downwards rather than upwards --for some reason a looking up freaks them out completely. The water on a head facing the floor runs off without getting into ears or eyes and the child can see where they're going to fall, which can help them feel safe.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 10:58 PM on Mar. 31, 2010

• I have my 2 yr old hold a dry washcloth over her eyes and then I lay her back in the tub with one hand under her head and then use another wash cloth to rinse. That help sometimes. And sometimes she screams and kicks. I try to distract her by talking about how she can pick out a book to read after her bath or choose a snack for after.
    Anonymous

• (continued) Some people like those shampoo rinse cup thingies, but that was a complete disaster with my daughter. lol Here's what the cup looks like. I bought one at Target, but tossed it after a few tries. I might work for you though.

Anonymous

• *It might work, not I. oops. lol
    Anonymous