How would you help your three year old say goodbye to her friends?

My daughter's daycare provider of 2 years is retiring. My three-year-old has been with the other 6 kids in the daycare for the past 2 years. They are very close - like a group of siblings. She seems them more often than she sees me, actually. They all live locally, but we don't the kids don't usually see one another outside of daycare. How can I help my daughter say goodbye to them and the woman who's been such a huge part of raising her?

baenglishwc05

Asked by baenglishwc05 at 10:53 PM on Mar. 31, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• My sister adn nephew moved from PA to FL when he was almost 3. She made him a little photo with pictures of him with family members. HE has been there for a year and a half and she said he still looks at it almost daily.
    mom2LandL

Answer by mom2LandL at 5:35 PM on Apr. 1, 2010

• thats so sad. i would say a party. talk to the other parents. see how they feel. they might be just as sad and want to make a group... take pictures. make treats. hugs and kisses and PICTURES. my mom has pictures of my first friends. i think those pictures are great now that i am 24 and i have a child of my own
    MoMoFu

Answer by MoMoFu at 10:56 PM on Mar. 31, 2010

• They have no sense of long term memory. Just have her say good bye and fill up her time with something else. She'll be fine
    Anonymous

• If she truly has relationships like you describe, and they are very close like that, then it wouldn't it be worth the minimal effort needed to invite the children over to play, or arrange to meet at a park near the daycare home ?

A few visits soon after their last day together can help bridge the very real, almost-physical wrench of separating from these children who are familiar supports to lean on in her world ...

If, after a couple of times, you feel that it is really such a hassle to get together with one or another of the friends, then after they have adjusted to their separation for a couple of weeks, you can probably let it slide without jarring her sense of stability.
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 11:13 PM on Mar. 31, 2010

• I agree with waldorfmom-- throw a goodbye party, but get info from the other parents to set up playdates and stuff. and if its an at home center thing- ask if your DD can come visit maybe once or twice a month or something.
    Shy_Dia

Answer by Shy_Dia at 2:28 PM on Apr. 1, 2010

• I have to agree with the first post! See if having a 'good-bye' party is an idea the other parents wouldn't mind participating with. Perhaps you and the other parents could maybe exchange e-mails and arrange a future play date. They may not have been interactive outside of daycare prior but no reason they couldn't now (and the children certainly would enjoy it!).
    CrazyKiss

Answer by CrazyKiss at 2:30 PM on Apr. 1, 2010

• you know what just relax they will do it soon and then would like them sh--------- for just a min ee injoy it while i promise that my youngest girl's boy is 19 months old he what try to say want he wants he start holls and point i make him tell me what he wants or he can sit right where he is until he stops the fit and show me or try to tell me so maybe this work for you turn up the tv its works for us sometimes you just give in just to get him to stop crying good luck and god bless
    bears123

Answer by bears123 at 6:30 PM on Apr. 1, 2010