Is Porn harmless?

In a study published in Sexual Addiction and Compulsivity, Schneider found that among the 68 percent of couples in which one person was addicted to Internet porn, one or both had lost interest in sex. Results of the same study, published in 2000, indicated that porn use was a major contributing factor to increased risk of separation and divorce. This finding is substantiated by results of a 2002 meeting of the American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers, during which surveyed lawyers claimed that “an obsessive interest in Internet pornography” was a significant factor in 56 percent of their divorce cases the prior year.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:36 PM on Mar. 31, 2010 in Relationships

• No, I do not think it is harmless. My ex husband was addicted to porn and didn't hide it. We use to watch it together. Then it was every single time we had sex the porn had to be on. He got too involved in the way things "looked" instead of how they "felt." He got weirder and weirder in bed, wanting to try things that I absolutely would not do. We had other issues in the marriage but that combined with the porn problem, I divorced him. My current husband and I have an agreement, I am not comfortable with porn so it doesn't happen. He watched it a few times and I caught him, tried to hide it, tried to lie about it, then stopped - but started up again and we had the same run around with the hiding and lying so in the end it was either me or porn and he chose me. Porn is not involved in our marriage or our sex life. For those who enjoy it, more power to you, but it's not for me in my marriage.
    TarLion

Answer by TarLion at 6:06 PM on Apr. 1, 2010

• It has definitely been harmful in our house.
    Anonymous

• Porn is harmless for the most part if you look at it occasionally. But like you stated in your facts, porn addiction is something completely different than the average guy looking at online porn once and awhile. I watched a special on the Tyra Show about porn addiction and it literally controls the person's whole life. One guy locked himself in his house for 48 hours straight watching internet porn and masterbating. His wife and child had to go somewhere else because they couldn't get in the house. And when Tyra asked the guy if he would rather watch porn or have sex with his wife, he said porn. So I can definitely see how that would lead to divorce. Everything is bad when there's an addiction involved.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 11:41 PM on Mar. 31, 2010

• It depends on who is looking at it and what what they're looking at.
    Anonymous

• well obviosuly if someone is addicted to it, then it can be...but not always.
    glamomomo

Answer by glamomomo at 11:53 PM on Mar. 31, 2010

• oops. I meant that as harmFUL
    glamomomo

Answer by glamomomo at 11:54 PM on Mar. 31, 2010

• in open moderation. meaning i think it's harmless in a relationship as long as it's not being hidden/secret & hasn't become an addiction.
    Anonymous

• i agree,and ofcourse everyone will say its not,its like saying a little bit of drugs is ok.
    BUSYLOVINGHIM

Answer by BUSYLOVINGHIM at 12:01 AM on Apr. 1, 2010

• i agree. porn is disgusting, when your in a relationship, no matter how often they or you are looking at it.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 12:09 AM on Apr. 1, 2010

• I LOVE porn!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:34 AM on Apr. 1, 2010