Do unto others AS others do unto you?

Is this really the best philosophy to live by?

I remember in third grade learning the lesson do unto others as you would have others do unto you. I asked my teacher a few months later when I can start treating people as they treat me? She informed I completely missed the point.

If someone calls us name, how is calling them a name back the best thing to do morally or a way to gain peace?

It seems as if lately it has been a tit for a tat. If one person is disrespectful the other person tries to one up the disrespect level or call worse names.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:50 PM on Mar. 31, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I'm confused... what exactly are you saying???
    Anonymous

• Its a simple question, nothing too deep

Here is the question in a very simple form. Should we be mean because someone was mean to us first? Is the he did first, so now I am going to do it back a good moral choice?
    Anonymous

• No it's a lousy moral choice. When Jesus told us to do unto others as you would have them do unto you, he meant to treat people the way you want them to treat you. Not the way they are treating you, the way you want them to treat you.
    CorrinaWithrow

Answer by CorrinaWithrow at 12:01 AM on Apr. 1, 2010

• I'm not religious by any means. But how I understand the quote is: Do unto others as you would have others do unto you. [Matthew 7:12]
    Which basically means Treat other people the way you WANT to be treated.
    It sounds like you are interpreting it to be Treat other people the way you have BEEN treated.

So if you want to be treated nicely, treat other people nicely.
    Hope I made sense!
    ARmom

Answer by ARmom at 12:02 AM on Apr. 1, 2010

• you made sense ARmom. That is exactly what I am trying to say. That is how I interpret it. Do as you want to be treated. That doesn't seem how I see it being interpreted lately.

I lost track of how many times I hear someone say you are mean and horrible so I will give it right back to you. I just don't get it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:06 AM on Apr. 1, 2010

• I would definitely go with the original statement of the golden rule: do unto others as you would have them do unto you. Most religions contain this concept... the Dharmic faiths have the idea of karma (that we receive back what we put out); some Pagan faiths teach the law of three (that we receive back three times what we put forth.) I don't think it's a wonderful philosophy to deliver tit for tat when we feel wronged. To quote Mahatma Gahndi: "An eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind."
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 12:10 AM on Apr. 1, 2010

• No that isn't what the verse means. However most people will defend them selves and their reguardless. I do it and I admit it. I don't allow people to walk on me. If that is against the bible so be it. If it offends my attacker so be it. Sorry that's just me.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 12:14 AM on Apr. 1, 2010

• No, but I'm not required to be a doormat to disrespectful people either.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:14 AM on Apr. 1, 2010

• Armom gave the correct meaning of this verse.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 12:16 AM on Apr. 1, 2010

I'm not saying you are. I'm saying don't disrespect me I wont defend Myself that's all
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 12:17 AM on Apr. 1, 2010