another question made me wonder.... excluding religious reasons, why would you not donate your organs after your death?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:16 AM on Apr. 1, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I don't want to donate anymore, either. Not because I'm selfish, but because I'm cautious. I take several meds daily just to help me function because of chronic non-terminal conditions. Though my docs all assure me that my meds are safe, I don't know what those meds are doing to my organs long-term. I would hate to donate my liver to someone only to have it fail on them five years out because of my poor health, kwim?
    May-20

Answer by May-20 at 6:46 AM on Apr. 1, 2010

• I dont know why anyone wouldnt want to except religious reasons. I am proud to carry my Texas Donor card!! :)
    Amanda7891

Answer by Amanda7891 at 12:19 AM on Apr. 1, 2010

• Trust. Perhaps they won't try hard enough to save me if they need my organs for someone else. Perhaps some rich guy needs them, and he's more important to people than I am....I can see it happening...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:22 AM on Apr. 1, 2010

• they don't harvest your organs until AFTER your death. so theres no more saving you anyway...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:24 AM on Apr. 1, 2010

• Anon :22, the folks who harvest the organs have NO CLUE who they will go to. They're not looking at the UNOS list. And the UNOS list doesn't list by wealth but rather by need. That kind of anonymity was set up precisely to avoid what you're worried about.

From the UNOS website:

The Organ Placement Process

When organs are donated, a complex process begins. The procuring organization accesses the national transplant computer system, UNetsm, through the Internet, or contacts the UNOS Organ Center directly. In either situation, information about the donor is entered into UNetsm and a donor/recipient match is run for each donated organ.

The resulting match list of potential recipients is ranked according to objective medical criteria (i.e. blood type, tissue type, size of the organ, medical urgency of the patient as well as time already spent on the waiting list and distance between donor and recipient).

To be continued

Answer by gdiamante at 12:26 AM on Apr. 1, 2010

• Continued:

Each organ has its own specific criteria.

Using the match of potential recipients, the local organ procurement coordinator or an organ placement specialist contacts the transplant center of the highest ranked patient, based on policy criteria, and offers the organ. If the organ is turned down, the next potential recipient's transplant center on the match list is contacted. Calls are made to multiple recipients' transplant centers in succession to expedite the organ placement process until the organ is placed. Once the organ is accepted for a patient, transportation arrangements are made and the transplant surgery is scheduled."

So. You're already dead and your organs harvested before they even know who could possibly receive them.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:27 AM on Apr. 1, 2010

• Because I dont want to be cremated. SP?
    Sophie4910

Answer by Sophie4910 at 12:46 AM on Apr. 1, 2010

• I don't want my organs cut out of my body and put into someone else. Why is that not reason enough?
    Whatkids

Answer by Whatkids at 1:30 AM on Apr. 1, 2010

• I hate to break it to you, but organs are harvested before death. You are technically still alive otherwise the organs would be dead and not viable for transplant.
    Whatkids

Answer by Whatkids at 1:32 AM on Apr. 1, 2010

• if ur dead u dun need ur organs. creamated or kept as is. you are cut open and altered after death regardless. why not help someone out?I always think about what if my son needed an organ and someone was worried about aesthetics or something else as petty. i had someone tell me they didnt want to donate their organs because what if you DO feel things after death? it would hurt. owwwy. i stopped talking to her shortly after that
    MoMoFu

Answer by MoMoFu at 1:35 AM on Apr. 1, 2010