my children spit

how do i get my 3 and 4 yr old to stop spiting they spit on the floor in the car and on the rug in the house then rub it in with their foot. what is wrong with them?

bimommy05

Asked by bimommy05 at 12:20 AM on Apr. 1, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Theres nothing wrong with them lol there going through that defiant stage. My three yr old son did that when he would get mad and we put him in time out everytime and would make him clean it up after wards with a rag or somthing of course I would go over it to make sure it was clean but I wanted to get them point across to him that it was nasty and that everytime he did that he would have to clean it up and go to time out. It only lasted for a couple of months and he hasnt done it since and that was almost 4 months ago. You just have to let them know momma means buisness.
    LANDENSMOMMYlmk

Answer by LANDENSMOMMYlmk at 12:23 AM on Apr. 1, 2010

• oh geeze my two boys have started this too! they are 2 and 3 now. When my oldest was 2 he didi it but i stopped it really quick, did was the PP suggested, worked prefectly! Now i cant get them to stop. its really annoying and gross. Hope you find something that works! GL
    Amanda7891

Answer by Amanda7891 at 12:26 AM on Apr. 1, 2010

• Make them clean it up. Mine did it when he was also 2 and I made him clean it. Took about 3 days for him to get it.
    LucyT20

Answer by LucyT20 at 12:57 AM on Apr. 1, 2010

• Time out and clean up... great ideas...be consistant and I would add that if they use their foot or shoe they have to clean the bottom of their shoes or wash their feet if they had bare feet. Also make sure they are seperated for their time out so they don't find it amusing. I would not put them where you can see them both but where they can't see each other. As for the car. Take a rag or towel with you and stop and make them clean it up or go back home or stop for a time out and just sit quietly. they will go through alot of phases and the old saying "what one doesn't think of the other one will is soooo true" I have twin grand kids and some times they can be a handful. Stay consistant.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:39 AM on Apr. 1, 2010

• My 3yr old started this a few weeks after my daughter was.born. I told him thats not how you.get attention and slaped his mouth just hard enough to get his attention, after doing this maybe twice, he has never slit again. Some people are totally aginst a pop on the mouth but i belive if you child touches something they shouldnt then you slap their hand. If they climb on something thats dangerous you pop their butt. And if they spit then correct it by a pop on the mouth. Works for mine. And i do mean just a pop, dont actually slap them to hurt them. Its for a shock factor not to hurt them.
    Keaton_Hazel

Answer by Keaton_Hazel at 8:06 AM on Apr. 1, 2010

• As a preschool teacher who has to deal with this problem a lot...what works for us, is to have the child stand at the garbage can and spit until they can't spit anymore. I only do this with permission from the parents and it works. I have had parents come to me begging me to help them stop their child from spitting. They thank me once it stops. There is no need for popping a child for spitting. I also tell them that spitting is nasty and not ok.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:20 PM on Apr. 1, 2010

• Oh my Im so happy that I dont send my child to preschool and instead they will be homeschooled. Wow I didnt think a teacher was allowed to do things like that with or without the parents permission. I dont know why Im so shocked about this because of everything that goes on in public schools nowadays but wow Im just so happy that my kids will be with me and that they will always be treated right.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:47 AM on Apr. 2, 2010