Le Leche League meetings...?

I haven't been to a Le Leche League meeting before but I am thinking about going to one tomorrow. Has anyone else been to one before... what do you think about it? What goes on at the meetings? Thanks!

shannonwooten

Asked by shannonwooten at 12:33 AM on Apr. 1, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• If you check out llli.org, you'll see the usual agenda. Typically meetings revolve around four breastfeeding subjects. It's a place where you can ask questions and get good answers. And you do not have to become a member.

I never did get to go to a meeting because my schedule wouldn't allow it. Have fun!

Answer by gdiamante at 12:36 AM on Apr. 1, 2010

• Moms with babies and little toddlers! From all walks of life. Our Group first does introductions, then before we start on a meeting topic, we ask if anyone came with questions. A meeting isn't a Leader lecturing - a Leader facilitates a conversation so that moms are sharing things that did and didn't work for them. Leaders are also available to work with you one on one if you're having an issue or something. But go, whether your'e having an issue or not. Sometimes it's nice to be around moms who are all breastfeeding. While I don't knock anyone for their feeding choices, you have to admit that exclusive breastfeeding brings about its own set of issues, just as exclusive bottle feeding would. Being able to share ideas, especially when you aren't getting encouragement to just give a bottle or something, is really helpful.
    whiteroses82

Answer by whiteroses82 at 9:13 AM on Apr. 1, 2010

• For breastfeeding support I think you should go.
    momx3gx1b

Answer by momx3gx1b at 9:53 AM on Apr. 1, 2010

• I went to my first one four days before my daughter was born. I've been going to them regularly since she was six weeks old. My MIL breastfed and was here for the first two weeks and she got us started on the right foot. They have a rotation of topics they cover and each week they discuss something different. However, they do change the topic depending on the mothers that have shown up. At the last meeting the scheduled topic was about problems in the beginning, but my daughter was the youngest baby there at 7 months old, so they ended up talking about issues with older babies and toddlers. They've talked about weaning, breastfeeding beyond a year, starting solids, etc. And then any issues or questions anyone has, even non breastfeeding topics. Most of the women in our group cosleep, so they will often discuss that. I'm probably the only one that doesn't. CONT.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 10:47 AM on Apr. 1, 2010

• Our group meets once a month and on the weeks they don't have meetings, a lot of them meet at the park for play dates. I moved here shortly before getting pregnant, so I don't have many friends here so I've been going to the play dates as a way to make friends and have adult conversation with someone other than my husband. When weather's been bad, we've also met up at someone's house or a restaurant that has a play area. Though they don't like the restaurants as much during the winter months when colds and flues are going around.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 10:52 AM on Apr. 1, 2010

• I found great support at my local LLL meetings. It was fun to get together with other breastfeeding moms and I learned a lot about more than just breastfeeding, a lot about just being a mom and life with a baby!
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 11:22 AM on Apr. 1, 2010

• I go fairly regularly. Our local chapter meets once a month, and attending the meeting is free, though you can join LLL for I believe $40 a year. I love going, it's a place where I can hang with like minded moms, learn new things, help people, and just have a good time.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 2:38 PM on Apr. 1, 2010