Do you believe it is better to...

use spanking or physical training as a discipline?

hot-mama86

Asked by hot-mama86 at 12:37 AM on Apr. 1, 2010 in General Parenting

• i think different punishment for different situations.....if they are being a complete brat and just not listening to you, spank...if they do something several times over a period of time that you told them not to, push ups
    aliishott2

Answer by aliishott2 at 1:01 AM on Apr. 1, 2010

• Personally? No. I knew kids who got that and turned out to be pretty rotten adults...the worst example was the murderer down the street. And yes, literally a murderer. He's doing time for killing a 16 year old girl. All the physical punishment his dad doled out had the opposite effect.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:40 AM on Apr. 1, 2010

• No I mean like push ups. Or holding some thing above your head for so many minutes for a punishment. Rather than physical abuse. I think you misunderstood.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 12:46 AM on Apr. 1, 2010

• there is a huge difference between disciplining a child and abusing a child....if someone becomes homicidal its from years of extreme emotional and physical abuse...not a few spankings or physical training to correct bad behavior...also not all children are the same...i was horribly abused by my mom for many years because she was medically crazy and i turned out fine
    aliishott2

Answer by aliishott2 at 12:51 AM on Apr. 1, 2010

• .i was horribly abused by my mom for many years because she was medically crazy and i turned out fine

I feel you I had the same problem That is why I am debating about which to use.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 12:56 AM on Apr. 1, 2010

• also remember that once the punishment is over and they tell you that they know what they did wrong, let it go
    aliishott2

Answer by aliishott2 at 1:03 AM on Apr. 1, 2010

• I personally dont agree with either. But thats just me.
    Sophie4910

Answer by Sophie4910 at 1:22 AM on Apr. 1, 2010

• 99% of the time, there is a natural, logical consequence for a behavior. Rude talking - I don't want to hear it, please go to your room. Note, we do not have toys in rooms, they have nothing in the sleeping room but a bed to sit on. Hitting - do something nice with your hand ten times. Mine is pretty little, this wouldn't be appropriate for, say, a 10 year old. I have found coming up with arbitrary punishment is kind of weird and wrong.

There's this book called "Creative Correction". I think it's SICK. She comes up with all these "creative" ways to punish her kids, and then basically laughs at them and pats herself on the back. It really bothers me, because she is being cruel, even if she's not hitting. Some things leave more marks than a spanking, even if thye can't be seen.
    whiteroses82

Answer by whiteroses82 at 8:58 AM on Apr. 1, 2010

• whiterose, the only problem with sending your child to their room when they misbehave, is that you have no where to send them when you're out. i've ran into this problem with my daughter when she criesabout not getting her way. i had been sending her to her room to cry but have found that when we're in public she has been trained to cry when she doesn't get her way and that that is acceptable behavior and i have no where to send her. :(

KristaRene

Answer by KristaRene at 10:45 AM on Apr. 1, 2010