From your religious perspective which disipline is better to use...

spanking or physical training?(like push ups exc.) I'm genially curious my dh and I are talking about new disciplines for the kids, because time oute aren't working well.

hot-mama86

Asked by hot-mama86 at 1:01 AM on Apr. 1, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I honestly can say our religious views have nothing to do with how we punish our children

This. I don't think you can have a blanket rule. Every child is different, and every child responds differently. What works on my son would never work on my nieces, and what works on my nieces, my son would laugh if we even tried it. One is a screamer (that girl has some SERIOUS lungs on her and she can go a half hour easy without even turning red). Once she gets going, anything you do to her will make her worse. The only thing that works is total isolation without an audience. My son, and my other niece, would both take that as a free pass to play. With my son, a spanking makes him angry, he's only had 3 and they WERE harder on us than on him, because they didn't work. But threatening to tell his aunts/teacher/someone else he respects about what he's done, that will humble him faster than any physical punishment.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 2:02 AM on Apr. 1, 2010

• neither...sorry that is from my religious POV
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:04 AM on Apr. 1, 2010

• I have system. 1st Verbal warning, 2nd, Verbal warning 3rd time out, When all else fails ..... the rod of correction. which seems to helps. Or sometimes I take away their favorite activity such as guitar,basketball, phone time etc. of course the rod is the last of the last resort.
    ptomom678

Answer by ptomom678 at 1:05 AM on Apr. 1, 2010

• Im with ptomom
    1- no!
    2-warning
    3-wall
    4-room
    5 -spanking
    6-just kidding no #6
    the room does it most of the time,but at times i have to spank his bootie
    BUSYLOVINGHIM

Answer by BUSYLOVINGHIM at 1:09 AM on Apr. 1, 2010

• See I have tried that system it is failing miserable for me right now. I got that system off of supper nanny. It worked,but my oldest has become very disruptive and the middle is following suit. So now I'm lost and he suggested the physical training though I'm iffy.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 1:16 AM on Apr. 1, 2010

• I honestly can say our religious views have nothing to do with how we punish our children, how DHand I were raised does play a HUGE part in how we discipline them.

The only time Dh has ever used push ups was when he coached soccer, he was brought in because the team had issues with working together, instead the boys would fight so they all learned to work together if they got out of line they did push ups eventually they got the idea that they had to work with and help each other out and stop bickering.

We have never used push ups at home and spankings are so rare that they almost never happen. After a certain age we started taking things away for a week at a time or extra chores are added on for the duration of the punishment.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 1:20 AM on Apr. 1, 2010

• You should find the source of his disruptive behvavior. This behavior is just a message to you that something is going on on the inside. Children cannot always verbally express their feelings. Maybe you should just keep quiet and just watch to see what is the source.
    ptomom678

Answer by ptomom678 at 1:23 AM on Apr. 1, 2010

• When our boys were younger and had a lot of built up frustration and energy we started putting them in more physical activities. Our oldest started football and the youngest took up track. For them it helped to have a physical outlet to help spend up frustrated energy. We didn't necessarily punish them but many times let them deal with the consequences of their actions. If they lost their temper and broke something, they had to work around the house to pay for the broken item without it being replaced. It didn't take too long for them to catch on and learn responsibility of their reactions to stressful situations. They have learned when something negative happens that they should not over react but to use their resources to be productive.

pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 1:24 AM on Apr. 1, 2010

Thank you we have it is my family. They tell them they are kids and can do any thing they want with no punishment. So now they just yell at me when I punish and tell me I can't tell them what to do.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 1:32 AM on Apr. 1, 2010

• Thank you we have it is my family. They tell them they are kids and can do any thing they want with no punishment. So now they just yell at me when I punish and tell me I can't tell them what to do

Wow!!! You know I went through that for a moment. I had to set the boundaries with my family and my kids. (even if it meant taking a break with visit) I let them who was who and what authority they had in MY family.(0) You are going to have to put your foot down.
    ptomom678

Answer by ptomom678 at 1:36 AM on Apr. 1, 2010