Do you think we owe the developing world a "climate debt"?

For:
http://www.democracynow.org/2009/11/23/naomi_klein_on_climate_debt_why

Against:
http://www.aim.org/aim-column/socialists-demand-trillions-in-climate-debt/

I'm sorry, but even if it were true, how is that going to help???!!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:25 AM on Apr. 1, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Simply enough...... Hell no
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 8:51 AM on Apr. 1, 2010

• There were once 10 brothers. They each went and settled in a different part of the earth. They each had lots of children, and therefore large families, and before long, each land that the brothers settled in was quite populated. 4 of the brothers worked hard, and their descendants were prosperous. The other 6 brothers didn't worry about tomorrow, but rather lived for the present. Some many years later, the descendants of the 6 looked at each other and decided that they had been cheated, for they were not as prosperous as the descendants of the 4. They went to the 4 rich lands and demanded their fair share, it was only right that they too had the riches of their relatives. After all, did they not come from brothers, who had the same father? They demanded that the lands of the 4 dig deep in their pockets and borrow all that they could to give the lands of the 6 enough that they too could be rich, and prosperous. (cont)
    29again

Answer by 29again at 2:02 AM on Apr. 1, 2010

• The descendants of the 6 did not count the help that they received from the 4 any time something bad happened, such as a flood, a famine, raging fires, etc. They did not think about all the help they received when someone threatened them, nor did they consider travelers who regularly came to their lands to visit and spend their vacations. None of that mattered. Some of the cousins and more distant descendants of the 4 decided that the 6 were right, they had been cheated. So, these cousins worked to try to convince the 4 to give more than they had to these poor, descended from the 6 brothers, because it wasn't fair that they should just suffer, when others did not! How was that FAIR???? They decided among themselves that it wasn't.

Now, tell me, who owes who? There is a saying -- God helps them who help themselves. (If you want something, work for it!)
    I don't believe we owe the world a thing!!!! (cont'd)
    29again

Answer by 29again at 2:24 AM on Apr. 1, 2010

• That is how I see the argument for climate justice. I don't know WHY Bolivia isn't industrialized. I don't know WHY most of the African nations are not industrialized. That is something that THEY need to deal with. It sounds to me like they are jealous of the success of the industrialized countries. The countries that "owe" a climate debt have worked hard, invested much, risked much, lost much to be where they are now. I say that these countries who think they are getting short-changed somehow need to start working, and taking care of themselves. How much better off would these countries be if they did not have a dictator taking the best of everything, and letting the people suffer? They almost remind me of some 4th generation PA ho who thinks she is too good to go flip burgers. She never had to work before, why start now? Just hand over the cash, so she can live the way she wants to! Does this make sense? umm, NO!
    29again

Answer by 29again at 2:25 AM on Apr. 1, 2010

• It wouldn't help. The money would go to the head power and the people would still be living in the crap conditions they are now.
    Crissy1213

Answer by Crissy1213 at 2:31 AM on Apr. 1, 2010

• There were once 10 brothers. They each went and settled in a different part of the earth.  Some settled in very hot parts where it is hard to grow food.  Some settled on small islands.  Some settled in areas with no oil. 

When their descendants had populated the lands, one group decided that the oil under their own land was not enough, even through they had more than most, so they bought up lots of other group's oil.  And, rather that turning it into plastics, they burnt most of it, making all the groups unhappy.

Clairwil

Answer by Clairwil at 2:35 AM on Apr. 1, 2010

• Well, they bought it, didn't they? They did not steal it, or defraud anyone. How is it their fault? Sorry, but each nation has its own responsibility and opportunity to prosper. If it doesn't, that is hardly the fault of the ones that do! I do not think we owe any other country anything. We give the shirt off our backs, if it is needed. We rebuild each of them when needed. At some point they need to get something similar to personal responsibility.
    29again

Answer by 29again at 2:42 AM on Apr. 1, 2010

• No, we don't owe anyone a "climate debt".

Right now, we need people in charge of the government checkbook who can say, "We don't have enough money to pay for that, so we cannot buy it."
    May-20

Answer by May-20 at 6:54 AM on Apr. 1, 2010

• We have a history of giving. We do NOT owe anyone. We give to them while breaking us? What sense does that make?
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 7:39 AM on Apr. 1, 2010

• No, we don't owe it! This is nothing but wealth distribution on a global scale. The US gives billions of dollars to other countries every year. Please show me where this money has actually been used for the people of these countries. It makes no sense to keep pouring money down rat holes.

If the US wants to help others, it should be in goods/services/labor. Our church has been part of an effort to build a 15 mile waterline in Africa. The line will supply 2 villages with fresh safe drinking water. It has taken 2 years and I think all the churches in my town to finish. It will be done this summer. If the US is going to help, I would like for it to be things like this.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 11:33 AM on Apr. 1, 2010