PIOC...parents with VERY strong willed kids....

What do you do?????!!!!!!! My daughter is 19 months old and I've tried all that redirection crap and DOESNT WORK!! She won't stay off the coffee table. I've thought about moving it out but that's not teaching her not to climb right?? She has already fallen off the ottoman at my moms house (onto carpet) and hit her head...she just doesn't learn...what do you do ?????

calliesmommie

Asked by calliesmommie at 1:37 AM on Apr. 1, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I continued repeating myself. And I explained the reasoning behind it. Even if they don't seem to understand, it's good practice. It's also good to put a positive spin on it; instead of telling her NOT to do something, tell her what you DO want her to do. My son was extremely overzealous when petting our cats no matter how many times I told him not to hit them - but when I told him to be gentle and showed him how he should pet them, he was quick to catch on. When I told him not to run into the street, he ran into the street - but when I tell him to turn around, he does. I've noticed similar results in most situations where I simply phrase my request in a more positive way.
    xtwistedxlovex

Answer by xtwistedxlovex at 6:28 AM on Apr. 1, 2010

• Kids climb. Kids bump their heads. Fact of life. Eventually she will learn (through falling) that maybe its not such a great idea.
    lstrickland

Answer by lstrickland at 1:39 AM on Apr. 1, 2010

• She's strong willed in EVERY department...I was just using that as an example...how do you deal with SW kids in every way??? That's why I was directing to people specifically that have strong willed kids.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 1:41 AM on Apr. 1, 2010

• My son is pretty stong willed. Mostly I just repeat the punishment. Like putting him in his room, everytime he comes back out, I put him back in. I have spanked.

My son has a bad habit of spitting when he's mad, and thats an automatic spanking everytime. Mostly I reccommend just picking your battles. Most strong willed kids have to figure out that stuff hurts on their own.
    lstrickland

Answer by lstrickland at 2:03 AM on Apr. 1, 2010

• how old is your son?? At what age did you spank him??
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 2:04 AM on Apr. 1, 2010

• that's my whole thing with the battles...I don't want to just fight with her everyday. I notice it gets bad if we're in the house too long...she LOVES to be outside, no matter what the weather and just run and play. But I also don't want her to hurt herself.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 2:05 AM on Apr. 1, 2010

• She is learning. She likes to climb. Teach her to climb and take her somewhere to climb. A park or whatever. She is a BABY...babies CLIMB. It is NORMAL and NATURAL for her to do this. It is even GOOD for her muscles. Do not discourage it. Just be there next to her to supervise or teach her.
    If you don't want her to get hurt, blow up an air mattress and let her jump onto that from the couch. It will tire her out and she should be safe. :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:48 AM on Apr. 1, 2010