Do you really believe God will send you to hell if you're not a "Christian"?

I grew up extremely religious...I won't mention the name of the church I grew up in, but think that group in Texas when it comes to dress (NOT THE SEXUAL part..at least not in my home growing up) and you're looking at photos of us growing up. the whole hair up, never cut, no jewlrey makeup and home made dresses. I've since left about 6 years ago. I wanted nothing to do with any type of church, liberal or non denominational etc. Being I was raised that there is a hell, I will always wonder & its in the back of my mind. But I cannot fathom the fact that God is a god of "love", he made us all, he knows the beginning & the end, yet our lives here on earth are suppose to be "free choice" & we;re to serve him on our own, yet if we don't we burn in hell?! Seriously, I own my puppy, but I'm HUMAN enough to not torture him "forever" because he does something bad. I don't get the burning in hell for enternity coming from a God o f love

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:06 AM on Apr. 1, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Op...contin... I understand the whole "being responsible" for my actions and I'll "reap what I sow"...basically karma etc. But, seriously think about it people, I'm not trying to stir up drama or be a "troll". But if you knew the beginnig and the end and KNEW people were going to suffer and make wrong choice on earth, why would you even make them if you knew in the end they'd end up "burning for eterenity?" Growing up I got told if I pierced my ears and wore earrings I'd go to hell. I was also adopted from a Latin country and my ears were already pierced when my parents got me and I remember when I was 10 the church ppl put their hands on me to "cast out any sins that my biological family may have passed on to me"...Needless to say, I feel so overwhelmed and sometimes even "brainwashed" now, that I don't even like discussing religion now because although I can quote tons of scriptures, I feel I know nothing, it's all empty.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:09 AM on Apr. 1, 2010

• I do believe that to go to Heaven you have to believe in Jesus Christ. Does that mean He "sends" you to Hell? I think you make a decision or decisions depending on what you belive salvation is, and make your own path. I understand your point of view and honestly I hope you are right. But its not something I would put my faith in. I think any LOVING Christian would hope everyone ends up in Heaven however I don't know that scripture supports that idea.
    Based on your post you've based your religious experience on what people have told you and done to you. But truth be told your church may have been extremely legalistic and not following the words of Christ. I'd encourage you to pray to God (as it appears you believe in) and stop being swayed by other Christians.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 5:10 AM on Apr. 1, 2010

• I don't believe in god or heaven and hell so I have no worries.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 6:40 AM on Apr. 1, 2010

• The truth is that had Jesus not died on the Cross for the sins of the world, we would all go to hell. Actually, the key to salvation from that end is the result of the resurrection of Christ from the grave. By experiencing death for us, we now have a choice as to whether we accept His death as payment for our sin or whether we reject His sacrifice on our behalf. That's the only choice that makes the difference between our spending eternity in heaven or in hell. Think of it like this: Someone deposits a million dollars in your bank account. It's yours, but you are the only one who can sign the checks to get that money out of the bank. Salvation is there, but you have to receive it. You don't do anything to earn it. It's not about what you wear or how good you are as a person. It's not about how you behave, although once the Holy Spirit comes into you, that will improve. He is still a person, and He is alive today!!!
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 9:06 AM on Apr. 1, 2010

• In my faith, there is no "hell", so no worries here!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:55 AM on Apr. 1, 2010

• Since there are so many religions out there, I believe God takes the form of whatever higher being a person believes in (Buddha, Jesus, Mary, Santa Claus, etc...) and judges the soul on the intent of good versus evil. Not whether they believe in one specific religion or the other.

If a person is good, they will be granted the Heaven they deserve. If a person is evil, they will be granted the Hell they deserve.
    Happypancake

Answer by Happypancake at 10:20 AM on Apr. 1, 2010

• No, I don't believe that non-Christians will go to hell. I don't believe hell exists, but even if it does I don't believe God would sentence anyone there for choosing to relate to Him in a different way, especially since I believe we find our spiritual path based on the unique understanding and spiritual needs He designs us to have to begin with - we're all different for a reason, He made us that way. And any faith that promotes love and compassion can't be wrong, in my book.

I believe all religions offer a way to foster and cultivate spirituality, as well as an understanding of and relationship with God. So I don't believe that any is "wrong" or that any is any more "right" than another. It just comes down to what is right for the individual, IMO.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 10:47 AM on Apr. 1, 2010

• I'm LDS in denomination and I believe God has a place for all good people Christian or not

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:31 AM on Apr. 1, 2010

• I dont believe in hell, God will not send you to torment forever. In the bible it states that the righteous will inherit the earth and reside forever upon it, it also says that the wicked will be cut off. I think that if you're not evil, he'll give you a chance to live.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:43 AM on Apr. 1, 2010

• Some people worship a God of Love and some worship a God of Punishments. It's best to know that they are NOT the same God. I'm not Christian but I was raised to be one and I don't fear hell. Too many Gods to fight over my unprovable soul....besides to a God of Punishments a loving, peaceful place to rest is hell to hir. So why not go that one's hell? lol
    isabellalecour

Answer by isabellalecour at 11:58 AM on Apr. 1, 2010