Daughter broke leg at school.... what would you do?

My daughter was running at recess when her kneecap popped out of place and then she couldn't bear any weight on her left leg and it obviously hurt. She went to the school nurse who put ice on it and told her there was nothing else she could do that she'd have to wait til she got home. The principal also looked at her leg... she gets home hopping on one foot which she did all day (it happened at 10:30, they get out at 3:20)... I take her to the E.R because she was hurting, couldn't walk on it, and it looked purple... turns out she fractured her tibia, a bone in the back of her knee, and tore one of her tendons...

They let my daughter hop around all day with a bum leg... didn't call me or anything and I'm pissed. What would you do if this was your kid?

Gremlyn

Asked by Gremlyn at 6:12 AM on Apr. 1, 2010 in Health

• First, I would make sure that the school's insurance paid for her hospital care. Then I would go to have a talk with the board of education and let them know what happened. Take medical records with you and document everything.
    neebug3766

Answer by neebug3766 at 6:19 AM on Apr. 1, 2010

• I would be FURIOUS!

There is a right way and a wrong way to handle this - and they handled it the WRONG way!

Yrs ago, my ds broke his finger when he tripped over a sidewalk that had a raised edge. He broke it in 2 places. The school nurse let him call me so that I could bring him motrin. His finger was swollen to the size of a sausage and turning so purple it was almost black. They didn't even want to let him keep the disposable ice pack and the nurse said she thought it was just jammed. I took checked him out and took him to the ER.

I was FURIOUS at how they handled it.

My dd broke her wrist this past weekend on a school trip with her soccer team. They called me right away to say that she was hurt, but they thought it was only sprained, wrapped it, gave her motrin with my permission, iced it, etc. When she got home, we went to the ER and it was broke.

I'm NOT mad at them - they didn't ignore the problem.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 6:58 AM on Apr. 1, 2010

• I would raise hell!!!

My son broke his nose at school. I wasn't mad at the school, it wasn't there fault, or neglegence. They called me and I went and got him right away.
    Had they not caled me all hell would have broken loose!

I would be in the principlas office today, on the phone with the school board and have that nurse's ass!!
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 8:21 AM on Apr. 1, 2010

• I know that there are some good school nurses out there, but my mom, who is a nurse, said that usually the nurses that they have at school aren't that good. Her reasoning is that nurses are in such demand, that the good ones who can hack it are either working in a hospital or nursing home or something. Or if they want a day job, they're working in a Drs office, making a lot more money and doing more real nursing than they do working as a school nurse. She said she wouldn't trust what a school nurse says about an illness or injury as far as she could throw them.

In my experience she's right about this.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:40 AM on Apr. 1, 2010

• I would be furious, I've worked in schools. I've seen what a limb looks like when it's broken, including my own sons lol. We called the parents as soon as we knew there was swelling and bruising
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 9:04 AM on Apr. 1, 2010

• That sounds like such a freak accident, I don't think I could fault anyone. I would sure want to! Did she ask to have you called?
    whiteroses82

Answer by whiteroses82 at 9:04 AM on Apr. 1, 2010

• I would raise Cain! There is no excuse for that. Most schools have phones in all off the classrooms. It isn't just the nurse and principal who ignored this. It was the teacher too. I would not stand for this. You have every right to take this over their head and even to court if necessary.
    PhoenixFire

Answer by PhoenixFire at 9:11 AM on Apr. 1, 2010

• Having broken a bone at school, I know that the first thing I did was ask to call my mom/dad, if I would have been told no I would have raised hell until I got to. They dropped the ball, call the principle and whoever is above him, explain why your so mad and have them pay your doctors bills at least for the ER. There is no excuse for this and she could have injured herself worse hoping around on it all day. How old is she? If she is to young to understand she should have insisted on calling you then you need to tell the school any time you child is hurt they are to call you!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:20 AM on Apr. 1, 2010

• Horrible judgment on the part of the school. Our policy is to call parents, give our side of what we think, let them talk with their child and go from there. However, if she can not bear weight, that's a no brainer! I am one that always thinks the kids are telling the truth-if they say they are going to throw up or need to see the nurse- off they go. I know that sometimes kids over react, but in my mind you ALWAYS side on the side of caution. I would calm down a little (it would take me DAYS before I could talk to anyone at the school rationally!) and the go in and have a very serious conversation about what happened. They need to earn back your trust. Schools need to be a place where parents feel safe and comfortable about sending their child. At this point, I would think neither is the case for you- they need to remedy this ASAP!
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 9:43 AM on Apr. 1, 2010

• :( YOUR poor baby! She needs a special treat for hoping in pain all day...Im all teary eyed...the thought of a child being in pain all day and no one really helped her..UGH...I agree with 1st poster...
    ryanlynn

Answer by ryanlynn at 9:43 AM on Apr. 1, 2010