She WILL NOT take her medician

My daughter has bronchitis and was given something called Amoxclan by her doctor. Its thick, white and smells horrible!! Im trying my best to make her drink this crap but it makes me even gag from the smell... Kinda like spoiled bananas and pineapple. How do i make her drink this? Can i maybe mix it with pudding or something? Or does that make it not work correctly? Trust me... This stuff is so nasty. I feel so bad having to hold her down and force her to drink this... There has to be a better way...

Keaton_Hazel

Asked by Keaton_Hazel at 8:41 AM on Apr. 1, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• before you try that does your pharmacy have flavors? Some do that hide the nasty taste. Other then that I would ask the pharmacist if you can try to hide the taste with food.

oldermomof5

Answer by oldermomof5 at 8:43 AM on Apr. 1, 2010

• OP. Whoops, its called Amoclan.
    Keaton_Hazel

Answer by Keaton_Hazel at 8:46 AM on Apr. 1, 2010

• Can you bribe her?? maybe she gets a piece of candy or extra tv time after she takes her meds??
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:46 AM on Apr. 1, 2010

• Can i maybe take it in and ask them to flavor it still? Or does that have to be done when they first make it? Normally they would give her bubble gum flavor but not this time... Enless spoiled banana is the flavor!!!
    Keaton_Hazel

Answer by Keaton_Hazel at 8:49 AM on Apr. 1, 2010

• Put it in a syringe,
    hold her down.
    put the syringe into the SIDE of her mouth with the spout at the BACK of her mouth.
    squirt it in in ONE push straight into the back of her mouth/throat.
    then close her mouth and hold it shut

by putting it in the side between cheek and teeth she can't push it out with tongue. and straight into the back of the mouth and throat she can't spit it out - automatic swallow reflex.

hold her down to make sure she gets ALL of the meds.

I've had to medicate my youngest since she was 1 and thats the only way we managed to get it into her. we've moved onto pills which she willingly takes now - but even the pills we'd push with a finger into the side of cheek and to back of mouth into throat.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 8:50 AM on Apr. 1, 2010

• I agree, I would ask if they could flavor it. I wouldn't mix it with pudding though, because the pudding has milk in it and sometimes dairy can interfere with antibiotics.

If they say you can't try to hide it with food, and if they say they can't flavor it, or if they do flavor it and she still won't take it, then, as mean as this sounds, I would ask them if they have one of those syringe style medicine dispensers. Then, you stick it in the side of her mouth and sort of squirt it down her throat. :-( I know, I know - this is mean, and it's NOT fun, and it breaks your heart - BELIEVE me, I KNOW (it's been over 10 yrs since I've had to do that, and I still get upset) - but sometimes that's the only way to get it in them, and they need to have it.

We had to do this with our dd when she was 3 and had a bad ear infection. She wouldn't take it any other way and the Dr said to do it like this. Horrible, but it worked :-(
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 8:51 AM on Apr. 1, 2010

• Shes only 16 months old :(
    Keaton_Hazel

Answer by Keaton_Hazel at 8:57 AM on Apr. 1, 2010

• I looked up Amoclan, and discovered it also comes in TABLET form. If you can get your doctor to write you a prescription for the tablet form, then you can crush it up using a mortar and pestil and hide it in a small amount of apple sauce or stage 3 baby food--just enough to hide it, and to be sure she gets the full dosage!

Believe me, I've had just as many battles...tablets, and extra flavorings are the key!!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 8:59 AM on Apr. 1, 2010

• actually im using a Syringe thing to give it to her now. Theres no way i could make her drink it from a little cup.
    Keaton_Hazel

Answer by Keaton_Hazel at 9:00 AM on Apr. 1, 2010

• do the into the back of the mouth trick - between cheek and teeth.

you'll just have to sit on her to do it. I would straddle her chest, just pin her down.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 9:04 AM on Apr. 1, 2010