cervix position question?

Okay so I started trying to check my cervix. I've tried when I was ttc before and it always felt the same. Well, last week I checked it and it was high and I could fit my fingertip in it. Shouldn't that mean open? Well, I tried checking it this week to see if it was different and it was still high but wasn't as opened. But I was reading that after having a child it never fully closes and it was definitely a lot more closed then it was last week. So I was ovulating right? Can anyone also explain to me what the different stages of cervix position are and what they mean? All I know is that when it's high and opened you're ovulating and until you start your period it will remain high but be closed. Thanks!
47 seconds ago - 4 days left

BethRae

Asked by BethRae at 8:43 AM on Apr. 1, 2010 in Trying to Conceive

• You should read the book Taking Charge of Your Fertility it really helped me with cervix position and for me it is a HUGE indicator. You really need to check your cervix everyday and maybe 2 times a day as ovulation gets closer, your cervix changes a lot. After your period it is hard closed and low each day my cervix will get a little higher and softer, the changes are very subtle that's why checking everyday helps. The day that you ovualte it should be the highest and softest and open. I can never tell when my cervix is open or not. From what I have read your cervix will not stay high and soft until your period, it usually gets harder about 48 hours after ovualtion. It will progressively get harder and lower following ovualation. If you are pregnant it will eventually go higher and soft, but usually that happens after you have already tested positive on a test. I hope all of that makes sense.
    mazonmom

Answer by mazonmom at 7:03 PM on Apr. 1, 2010