what kind of sleep issue is this???

Please help me! My 21 month old son was sleeping through the night up until a few weeks ago. For whatever reason, he is now waking up every night at around 12:00am, screaming and crying for us to enter his room. It's not like other times where he would cry for perhaps a few minutes then put himself back to sleep. He now wakes up and literally screams and cries for hours. I have cameras in his room so I am able to watch what he is doing when he wakes up. Last night he jumped up and down while crying and screaming for 2 hours straight. A few nights ago he was screaming so much that he threw up, I have no idea what is going on. I have been timing theses episodes and over the past week, he has averaged only 3 hours of sleep a night. He eventually went back to sleep at 3:00am, only to wake up crying at 5:00am. What can I do, I have a night light in his room already. He has a teddy and a blanky as well. Please help!!

myakita3

Asked by myakita3 at 9:17 AM on Apr. 1, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Sounds like he may be having nightmare or night terrors. Try limiting the stuff he watches. My daughter did this and we found out that watching Ninja Turtles scared her at night even though she always begged to watch them.
    hornz102485

Answer by hornz102485 at 9:31 AM on Apr. 1, 2010

• If you are not able to console him during these fits... it might be night terrors. Scary and a PITA, there isn't much you can do. DO make sure he is getting enough rest during the day... increasing naps helped when my DD went through these at about the same age.
    DangerousMommy

Answer by DangerousMommy at 9:31 AM on Apr. 1, 2010

• Call a ped and have him checked. Althought it may be nothing it may also be something. My little cousin has night terrors and they started out of nowhere.

Just relax, I know it must be stressfult not to know how to help out babies sometimes. Talk to your ped. about it. and good luck
    4xsthetrouble

Answer by 4xsthetrouble at 9:31 AM on Apr. 1, 2010

• it could be night terrors. Does he seem to be asleep or out of it when he wakes or does he just wake up and scream for someone to come to him with no real reason? If it's night terrors there is nothing you can do but try and calm him. It might just be a bad dream. As their little minds become more influenced dreams are not uncommon. Hopefully it will pass without you becoming a zombie
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 9:32 AM on Apr. 1, 2010

• He seems to be very much awake and I have been given advice from several other mothers to just let him cry it out, that he only wants us to go in there to bring him back into bed with us. Just recently my husband was out on a business trip and my son wasn't feeling well so I made the mistake of allowing him to sleep in bed with me. I am afraid that this could be the cause for all this chaos? If so, how long would it take for him to give up? It seems like he just can't settle himself once he is awake. Why isn't he sleepy when morning comes along? How can a child cry and scream for hours without becoming tired?
    myakita3

Answer by myakita3 at 9:51 AM on Apr. 1, 2010

• uh oh.. my son started til after being sick when he was 24 months old.. that was 5 months ago.. after what seemed like endless nights of screaming and crying and thrashing himself around from being so upset he hit his face on his bedrail that prevents him from falling out of his bed and bruised his nose.. it terrifed me.. I decided that I am not going to let my son get hurt in these rage's or fits.. he is fully awake also and we can have coversations once he's calmed down, sometimes they are nightmare cause he will say mommy, where are my shoes, and cry, my brown shoes and I have to show them to him before he's calmed or certain toys etc.. anyway.. now for the past months, he is waking less - it started out where he was only getting 2-3 hours a night too cause i was letting him calm himself ( which was NOT working) I waived the white flag and ended up in HIS bed,... I was told by a nurse that was better than bringning him
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 10:39 AM on Apr. 1, 2010

• back to my bed and safer since he does have the bed guard.. Now he has only been waking 1 to 2 times.. there are still nights that even when I end up with him, we toss and turn and dont sleep well but now some nights when he wakes and asks me to come with him, I tell him calmly no honey, mommy has to sleep in her bed and he will be ok with it and go back to bed,. I bought him a dream catcher hoping that story with it would help, somenights he sleeps with a shirt of mine or a jacket of mine and that can help.. what I am told by his ped is this is very common at this age for them to have sleep interuptions.. I have no solid advice except the more methods and attempts I tried for him to calm himself made us ALL worse.. so if even a cot on HIS floor would help for a while, I would do that.. some kids get back to normal after a sickness after a week.. I am on month 5. good luck mommy.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 10:42 AM on Apr. 1, 2010

• by the way.. my son went for 3 weeks on 3 hours of sleep and all night crying fit until I was the one who caved.... so they can go a lot longer than I ever thought!! I was mentally exhausted til I stopped fighting it.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 10:43 AM on Apr. 1, 2010

• Go to him, console him... rock him, bring him to your bed if you have to... why on earth would you leave him to scream for 2 hours in the middle of the night???

He's not an adult, he's not reacting this way just to get his way. He's a baby, who is scared and wants his momma.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 12:37 PM on Apr. 1, 2010

• My son had night terrors for a few months at that age; I just held him until it was over and he was fully asleep.
    happytexasCM

Answer by happytexasCM at 1:04 PM on Apr. 1, 2010