Is an 8 yr old too young for the sex talk?

I also want to know what to say to her, should it be technical information? Should I include a discussion about relationships and love? To me she is always a baby, but I realize that she is growing up and I want to give her the best knowledge on the subject.
Thanks for any advice.

pbishop600

Asked by pbishop600 at 10:12 AM on Apr. 1, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I'm a firm believer that if they are asking, then they should be told. What you really should be discussing with her is how her body is going to change soon. Thats a very important talk. And another important talk is how they should respect their bodies as well.
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 10:14 AM on Apr. 1, 2010

• I agree with zakysmommy

Answer by admckenzie at 10:15 AM on Apr. 1, 2010

• well, i think they can know about general things. nothing too complex at that age. i went to the library once because noone wanted to talk to my little cousin about the sex talk so i just looked it up at the children's section. he listened very good at that book and after the book i just answred any questioned. i didn't have a child at the time. i was still nervous because he was like a son to me. good luck.
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 10:17 AM on Apr. 1, 2010

• I just recently had a talk with my 8 year old daughter about her body changes, her period, why it happens and what exactly will happen. It was a fairly lengthy talk, but after that she's had some follow up questions (which I encouraged!) and I answer her questions as they come up. I didn't really go into sex, just said that having her period is what makes women able to have babies. But - they do a sex education class in 5th grade here (she's in 3rd), and I will definitely talk to her before then about the entire process. I have already had the drawn out discussion with her 4th grade brother. But after the one "long" talk, we're following up with small discussions after - it's not a one time thing. I talk to her all the time about respecting herself and her body - and when I discussed it with her brother I talked to him about respecting girls and their bodies as well.

Answer by missanc at 10:19 AM on Apr. 1, 2010

• No it's not too young. Maybe not the time to get into the nitty gritty but go to the library or a book store and get an age appropriate book you guys can go through together. The younger you talk about it the easier it will be later on. Oh and if she's not asking about it I wouldn't get too in depth. Maybe start with the period and body changes if she wants to know more from there give her all the information you can.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:02 AM on Apr. 1, 2010

• Experts say to start talking to your kids at the age of 8. I am at a loss of what to say too. My son is 8.

JAIRATRACI

Answer by JAIRATRACI at 12:53 PM on Apr. 1, 2010

• It isn't too young. My daughter's school already has some sort of family life class they give (not too in depth detail but touching on subjects). The terms you use when discussing things with her is all in how you've talked to her before. If you have called her girl parts by little nicknames in the past then it's best if you do so when first starting to talk to her about things. I've always believed it was best to refer to things by what they are from the begining. My daughter is almost 7 and knows that girls have periods (and that it means the uterus is bleeding) and she knows the terms for basic gentalia. Start small and then over time build from that.
    CrazyKiss

Answer by CrazyKiss at 2:45 PM on Apr. 1, 2010

• NO, it is not. If you are having the sex talk, include a talk on how bad drugs are too. The younger the better if you ask me. My son is 13 and I have been talking to him about sex, his body, drugs and alcohol since he was 6. Both talks are not a one time deal, the talks should be on going conversations and you should make sure your kids know that they can come to you with ANY questions and not be afraid of your reaction.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:24 PM on Apr. 1, 2010

• It is a great time! Talk about the plumbing and how it works. Have drawn diagrams and aswer all of her questions. I would leave the emotional stuff out until closer to 11.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:45 AM on Apr. 2, 2010

• I agee, its not to early. And yes she needs to understand every aspect of it. Emotional, physical, mental. Her body will be changing sooner then later, so she needs to understand ahead of time what will happen!! My mother never gave me the sex talk...it was just something that I learned as life progressed. I wish she would have cared enough to talk.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 2:59 PM on Apr. 3, 2010