How can I stop worrying about the possibility of having a c-section?!

I am 27 weeks with twins (3rd pregnancy). My first 2 were born vaginally w/ no tearing or anything... so I recovered very easily. But this time I am scared to death that the babies won't be positioned correctly for me to have a vaginal birth.

I have never had ANY kind of surgery and the idea of having a c-section scares me to death! I seriously think they would have to put me out b/c there is no way I could just lay there AWAKE, knowing that they are cutting my stomach open!

I know I have no choice in the matter ... either they will be head down or they won't and there is nothing I can do about it! But I just can't stop worrying ... I am driving myself crazy! LoL

By the way... I am a "big girl" and that makes me worry even more because I know that makes things more difficult -- the actual surgery AND the recovery.

JenMarie2007

Asked by JenMarie2007 at 10:49 AM on Apr. 1, 2010 in Pregnancy

• *hugs* This has been one of my big fears, since twins run in my family. I've decided that I'll be heading to the Farm if I can't find someone local who will deliver them at home. (yes, I realize a c/s may still be called for if they're not in the right position)

In any case, check out spinningbabies.com to try and get them in the right position. Make SURE your doctor is 100% on board with a vaginal delivery of twins. Cause if s/he's not they may not let you try very long. Get a doula too, to help be your voice when you're in labor.

And remember, even though everyone says "as long as you have a healthy baby that's all that matters", it's not really true. YOU may need to talk to someone. So don't feel bad if 3 days, 3 weeks, 3 months or 3 years after their birth(even if it is vaginal) you find that you need to talk out your feelings about their arrival into the world. If you don't have any friends who will listen, find a
    Arisce

Answer by Arisce at 12:09 PM on Apr. 1, 2010

• At 36, I was also a "big girl", and had a c-section....it's not as bad as you are imagining.....The only thing I can think of to get you to stop worrying is a bit of cognitive therapy....every time the thought enters your mind, say no out loud and deliberately think of something else....something mundane.....do stuff that you have to concentrate on in order to take your mind off things.....one of the things I do is sudoku or crossword puzzles...anything that your mind must concentrate on will do.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:55 AM on Apr. 1, 2010

• If there's no reason why you should have one there's no reason to worry about it. The baby is going to get out somehow and none of the options are great. This is something that is out of your control and you just need to let it go.
    mrsjonzy

Answer by mrsjonzy at 10:57 AM on Apr. 1, 2010

• All surgery is scary and it all has risks. C-section is probably the most common surgery to date. Having twins does not mean a c-section will be necessary. If they are head down now they will most likely be head down come d-day. If it becomes necessary just remember hundreds of c-sec. are performed every day with little to no complications. Trust that your doctor is going to do what (s)he feels is in your best interest. It's not just you they need to worry about. They will take the baby's lives into consideration as well. Try not to stress about it too much as the universe will give you what you ask for. A c-section, IMO, is not as bad as people would have you believe. Recovery was easier for me than recovery from vaginal birth.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 11:01 AM on Apr. 1, 2010

• I am a big girl too and has every intention of having a vaginal birth but when the doctor came rushing in because she lost my babys heart on the monitor, nothing else mattered except getting my daughter out. I was a little afraid too but everything turned out just fine. My daughter came out healthy and happy. My c section went just fine and I healed fairly quickly and really was only in some pain for a few days. When it comes to the lives of your babies you won't be thinking about how scared you are about surgery.
    Bamzakarat

Answer by Bamzakarat at 11:02 AM on Apr. 1, 2010

• C-section really wasn't that bad. I was scared when I had to have one, but afterward I realized if I have to do it again, I'll be okay with it.
    brookebella

Answer by brookebella at 11:03 AM on Apr. 1, 2010

• With Twins, there is a higher chance of C-Section if one or both of the babies is not positioned correctly. However, do your research! If one baby isn't vertex, your doc may be able to turn him or her into that position. If baby "b" (whom, i'm assuming, would be the 2nd born) is breech, doc may be able to turn him or her after the first is born. Talk in depth with your doc, and do major research on how to avoid a c-section. Think lots of POSITIVE thoughts about this. And always remember that it's probably not as scary as you think (i've never had one, so no personal experience here), and that even if you do have to have one, as long as the babies are born healthy, that's really all that matters! GL mama!
    milfalicious08

Answer by milfalicious08 at 11:06 AM on Apr. 1, 2010

• I don't think there is anything that you can do to stop worrying about it. With my first (dd) I was induced after 40 wks and after 10+ hours of labor and the baby struggling a bit, we decided to do a C-section. I got a blessing from my husband and a family friend and after that, even though it wasn't "planned" to end up that way, I was at peace, and I knew everything would work out for the best. She came out healthy and happy, and it took about 4-6 weeks to recover to actually feel like I could do everything on my own.
    I would say, just inform yourself about what exactly happens, statistics, and all the rest involved with a C section. The more you read about it, the more informed and at ease you will be....IF....it had to happen. I wouldn't stress though, because you may not!!!! Best of luck and congrats on your soon to be addition to your family!!! xoxoxo
    sandypops

Answer by sandypops at 11:07 AM on Apr. 1, 2010

• PS, I had twins as well, and I only had to have a C section because my body doesn't dialate and my cervix never softens. I also have friend that had twins natural....so don't stress! What's meant to happen will...just prepare yourself for the unknown if it has to happen! xoxo
    sandypops

Answer by sandypops at 11:08 AM on Apr. 1, 2010

• c/sections aren't that bad...and you'll have a curtain so you can't see. you could ask them to put you in twilight sleep, so you're asleep but not totally asleep. i was like that for my second because the epi wasn't working at all. if not, then ask for a spinal block instead of an epi (they won't give it to you unless you know for a fact you're going in for a csection, and won't give it to you if you've already had an epi)

lots of women have given birth to twins naturally. i wouldn't worry about it, you don't really have any reason to have a c section right?

just don't let them push you into one. if you really don't want one, and the baby's monitoring all right then tell them no. GL
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:13 AM on Apr. 1, 2010