Cafe Standards up ~ Is this good for America?

The new number for mileage on cars and trucks is up to 35 1//2 on the highway and Auto comapanies have to comply by 2016. Preliminary studies say automobile prices will go up an minimum of $1000. It's obvious this doesn't phase Democrats and fellow econonuts but does it mean anything to you?
Can we afford this added to other raises in energy costs in the pipeline. Do these people even think about these things? Just one more reason for businesses to believe they should not hire in the near future.
This is your Democrat recovery, How can you believe this is good?

itsmesteph11

Asked by itsmesteph11 at 11:09 AM on Apr. 1, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Nope, your point of view is not the OBVIOUS point of view. It's just YOUR point of view.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:11 AM on Apr. 1, 2010

• you are talking about 1000 extra for a vehicle you are most likely paying 25000 for in the first place. My guess is you wont even notice it and you will make up for it with what you dont pay for gas. I have more important things to worry about then trying to get out of paying for things, including my taxes.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:16 AM on Apr. 1, 2010

• My VW already gets great mileage and I have to buy the best"premium " gas for my car type and I don't mind. Everything is going up so an extra 1000 for a car in 6 years is not a big deal!

kjfamily

Answer by kjfamily at 11:16 AM on Apr. 1, 2010

• Give me a break, can no one give a straight answer, or an answer at all? If you don't like the damn question move your ass along. This is why no one can get a dialogue going.. Personally, I am using logic which I know is hard for some of you to do. If the Dems were worried about doing something that might set what little recovery we have seen they would not keep doing things that did nothing but hamper our recovery. To me, thats obvious but me not phrasing it the way you would doesn't mean it can't be answered civilly.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 11:19 AM on Apr. 1, 2010

• All it means is that people will hold on to their PAID FOR "clunkers" that much longer!!

When will Dems get it through their thick skulls that the more you tax or increase prices on things the more people (with brain stems that is!) will either do without, or make the items they already have last that much longer? You can't FORCE people to spend more than they are willing to!

Besides, as far as cars getting better mileage, MOST of that is due to making the cars LIGHTER--more lightweight plastic and aluminum components--which means they are LESS SAFE when it comes to crashes!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 11:20 AM on Apr. 1, 2010

• I have more important things to worry about then trying to get out of paying for things, including my taxes.

1000 dollars is a lot of money.

I sincerely doubt that you pay any taxes.............

mustbeGRACE

Answer by mustbeGRACE at 11:27 AM on Apr. 1, 2010

• 1000 dollars is a lot of money.

It might be to you, but to many people it isn't...me being one of them.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:33 AM on Apr. 1, 2010

• I'm no Dem, but I think they REALIZE that SOME things ARE more important than the economy (an imaginary land ran by wall-street where they can cause disaster in all of our lives with non-concrete things sound nuts huh?) like having an EARTH to have an economy on. People don't really realize just what their vehicles do to the Earth. The government has passed similar measures before and have had to back down in the past because the auto industry refused to comply and the only other choice would have been to put the auto industry under. 2016, SERIOUSLY? You don't think the cost of auto's is going to rise do to other technology and inflation anyway? Wouldn't rather have a new car that is SLIGHTLY better for the Earth than one you can plug your Ipod into? You seriously need to do some research into the auto industry, current technology available NOT being utilized, oil lobbyists etc.
    Slinkee

Answer by Slinkee at 11:38 AM on Apr. 1, 2010

• kjfamily - why do you have to by the " best premium" gas?

I used to work for a publication that tracked the oil industry. I very clearly remember my bosses (the guys often quoted for a variety of NY based media pieces on oil prices) saying when all was said and done, the boring old "regular" gas worked just as well as their more expensive counterparts. I've never bothered paying for premium after that and I've never had issues.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:43 AM on Apr. 1, 2010

• saying when all was said and done, the boring old "regular" gas worked just as well as their more expensive counterparts

For the average vehicle yes it's fine but even the different gas brands carry different additives which have different effects on your engine. If you drive a 4-cyl Honda 87 its fine, if you drive a large vehicle, specialty vehicle or heaven help you a performance vehicle 87 is not going to run pretty in your car lol. My can spark-knocks like a mother if I put less than an 89 in and it's on ly a V6.
    Slinkee

Answer by Slinkee at 11:46 AM on Apr. 1, 2010