I'm having a hard time leaving my 4 month old with a baby sitter aka grandpa. he just crys and crys. Any words of wisdom or suggestions to make it easier for him?

JaymieZ

Asked by JaymieZ at 11:41 AM on Apr. 1, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Crys and crys from colic or is grandpa not comfortable? can you tell us more?
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 11:43 AM on Apr. 1, 2010

• No My father is pretty good with him. He does not or has ever had colic. I think he just wants mom and dad. My father only watches him once or twice every couple of weeks. Ayden is just used to having one of us there.
    JaymieZ

Answer by JaymieZ at 11:46 AM on Apr. 1, 2010

• Make your goodbye short and quick. Tell him you love him and will be back soon. Lots of kids feed off their mother's reactions, so if you are dragging the time out being miserable or coddling him, he'll just continue.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 11:51 AM on Apr. 1, 2010

• If it's an option, just don't leave him. My first was the same way and he just had to get used to his grandparents. He's a stranger as far as your son is concerned... when he's older, he'll have an easier time getting to know him.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 11:54 AM on Apr. 1, 2010

• Try to bring his favorite toys, he will get better as time goes on. My mom babysits my friends son and he was the same way, but we realized he was that way b/c he was getting 4 top teeth in at once ... maybe he is teething???
    NOLAmommaKRYS

Answer by NOLAmommaKRYS at 12:13 PM on Apr. 1, 2010

• LeanneC must be crazy. Whos answer is to NOT leave him. Is she suppose to keep him attached to her hip 24/7? He needs to work through his anxiety. Bring things he loves & try to keep him on schedule. Hell be fine. A little crying never hurt anyone! :) Enjoy yourself when your out! Im sure you deserve it!
    pinkcicle709

Answer by pinkcicle709 at 1:20 PM on Apr. 1, 2010

• do you see your dad other times than just to babysit? Invite him to the park with you and the baby and let him push the baby on the swing, invite him to your house often, go to the zoo as a family.... the more your baby sees his grandpa, the more he will realize he is part of the family. Also bring toys and blankets from the home when he babysits. the smell of your house and the familiarity of the toys will make the transition more comfortable. also make the goodbye a quick one. The more you hesitate to leave the harder it will be to say goodbye. My family is far away, so all we have is SO's family, and we rarely ever see them. They don't live far, they just have their own lives and apparently we arent part of their lives. It's pathetic and really upsets me. So much drama is going on I dont even know who is coming to the bday party, or what we are doing for easter.
    Anonymous

• my baby was the same way with other people. he didnty want anyone but mom and dad, but grandma was determinded to keep him no matter what. so the first few times he went to her house he cried and cried the entire time, bc he wasnt used to her, but she kept him and loved him anyway, and after a while she broke him in lol and now he is 2 and she is the only one that can keep him without him crying so you just have to let the baby get used to grandpa!
    secondtyme520

Answer by secondtyme520 at 3:10 PM on Apr. 1, 2010

• have your dad come to your place to keep him a few times so that your baby is comfortable with him around his own surroundings.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 5:42 PM on Apr. 1, 2010

• I don't think LeanneC is crazy, I was going to say the same thing! If it is an option to not leave him, then don't! He doesn't need to "work through his anxiety" he's 4 months old! He's a baby, he needs his mommy. If you need to work, then I know, this is not an option. If it is so you can go out to dinner and a movie, then wait a few more months until "date night".
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 5:58 PM on Apr. 1, 2010