is it true that fertility is high when u 1st start birthcontroll pills??

i just started birthcontroll pills ten days ago and keep tellin myfiance that i can still get prego right now cuz i just started them, he doenst belive me at all.. so ladys please help me set him straight
thanks

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:51 AM on Apr. 1, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I don't know about that but my Ob/Gyn told me to use protection for at least 3 months after starting birth control so the birth control can get into your system real good.
    mominbolt

Answer by mominbolt at 11:53 AM on Apr. 1, 2010

• The regular birth control pills (not the mini-pill) use a combination of estrogen and progesterone which does a double whammy -- suppressing ovulation so there's no egg to be fertilized, and creating a harsh environment in utero so if an egg did sneak by and get fertilized it would have a hard time implanting. But it takes a while for the pills to take effect; since ovulation is something that gets built up to in your system, starting on the first day of your period, it might not just stop right off the bat. Same thing with altering your uterine environment. These things don't just happen at the drop of a hat. You'll want to use back-up protection for at least the first month, 2 or 3 if you really don't want to get pregnant.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 11:57 AM on Apr. 1, 2010

• Your supposed to use a back up protection for the first month.
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 4:00 PM on Apr. 1, 2010