How can I get my 16 month old to sleep in her crib?

She used to sleep in her crib in her own room up until she was around 6 - 7 months that's when we brought her into our room since we lived in an apt at the time and our room was the only room with A/C. Anyway she got into the habit of sleeping with us in the bed. Now that we live in a townhome we have her crib in our room since we have a roommate. We usually let her fall asleep in our bed and then move her to her crib but around 1am - 2am she wakes up crying. Now is there any other way to get her to just stay there without letting her cry it out? Since I don't want to bug our roommate. Plus we are pregnant with # 2 and she can't sleep with us anymore since I'll just get bigger and it will be extremely uncomfortable.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:25 PM on Apr. 1, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I think the best way is a gradual transition. Do you have a good bedtime routine that gets her sleepy and ready to go to bed? If you do, keep following the usual routine, but as soon as she is asleep, put her in the crib. Then, start putting her in the crib just before she falls asleep (you'll probably have to stay with her at first while she falls asleep). Each night, leave a little earlier until you can go through the routine and put her in the crib awake and she'll fall asleep on her own. Check out The No-Cry Sleep Solution by Elizabeth Pantley for more specific ideas, it worked really well for us and it should help her sleep through the night without crying it out. Good luck!!
    bethany169

Answer by bethany169 at 12:32 PM on Apr. 1, 2010