I need advice fast!!! My baby is 8 months old and she stays with my mom-in-law once a week or maybe twice. She is a smoker!! She doesn't smoke aroung the baby, but the house smells like smoke and she keeps the heat high and it's stuffy in there. How can I tell her I don't like it? It bothers me so bad. Every morning I drop her off and the house smells like smoke as she just finished smoking?

Newmommy931

Asked by Newmommy931 at 12:51 PM on Apr. 1, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Alternative to finding a new sitter. Spend a little bit and buy an air purifier. Some work wonders. I don't smoke, but my 21 year old son does. I can't even smell it in his house. he uses 2
    mrswillie

Answer by mrswillie at 1:23 PM on Apr. 1, 2010

• I would find a different babysitter, you can't demand that she stop smoking nor should you try.
    danielp

Answer by danielp at 12:53 PM on Apr. 1, 2010

• Personally I wouldn't take my children there.
    Anonymous

• She won't be hurt by going once or twice a week. But, I smoked for years and my kids were around it...so what do I know...they all lived and are without harm. :)
    Anonymous

• You have total say over where your baby stays. There are those who would argue that people can do what they want in their house. Fine. But adding your baby to the equation changes everything. Smelling smoke means it's in the air. New revelations about smoke, even secondhand smoke come out all the time. My mom would smoke in another room or just when we were at school. Guess what? It was smoke so it stayed in the house. I had tons of respiratory illnesses growing up and still have problems. Don't take that change with your daughter. Just becuase your MIL is addicted to cigarettes does not mean it's okay for her to screw up your daughter's lungs.
    Anonymous

• You just need to tell her. I had to tell my parents that too. Here's the kicker, you can't tell her not to smoke in her own house, so chances are high that you will have to just find another babysitter.
    clhadley

Answer by clhadley at 1:09 PM on Apr. 1, 2010

• I wouldnt take my child there. Once or twice a week- you wouldnt give your baby one or two cigarettes a week- so why would u let them inhale the toxic fumes all day once or twice a week?
    It is proven children who are around cig smoke are at a higher risk of having asthma- why would u risk it?
    pinkcicle709

Answer by pinkcicle709 at 1:11 PM on Apr. 1, 2010

• I don't even take my sons to my MIL's house to visit for that very reason, if she wants to see them she can come here. PERIOD.
    Slinkee

Answer by Slinkee at 1:12 PM on Apr. 1, 2010

• It's pretty simple...you can't tell her she can't smoke in her own home! If you don't like it, then you have the option to bring your child somewhere else. I agree with you, and I wouldn't like it....but you can't expect to ask someone to help you out by babysitting your child, and then tell them what they can and can't do in their own home. I personally would find a new sitter.
    Anonymous

• you could go different ways on this one...you cant tell her to not smoke, its like telling the 4 people i live with not to smoke around my kids...they dont smoke around my kids but they know that they should smoke elsewhere, whether its outside or down in the basement. you could tell her to keep some sort of ventalation around there, crack a window open while having one of those personal mini fans running or just have a fan going. maybe get a room purifier for her house.

you need to express that it bothers you a bit and to put out some options such as those.
    americansugar80

Answer by americansugar80 at 1:25 PM on Apr. 1, 2010