When people say they married their best friend, what does that mean?

Teeny83

Asked by Teeny83 at 1:10 PM on Apr. 1, 2010 in Relationships

• It means before you were married, your spouse was your best friend.
    Anonymous

• I married my best friend, I can tell him just about anything, I can poop and fart in front of him and he'll just think it's nasty and laugh it off, I can go out and have fun with him, we can talk about other people together, he will have my back if anyone talks bad about me or tries to put me down, and I will do the same for him, I love to have and raise children with him, I can have a heated argument with him and know that he will still love me the next day.
    LuvmyFam6

Answer by LuvmyFam6 at 1:20 PM on Apr. 1, 2010

• That they're best friends with the person they married.
    They became close friends before or during their relationship and hit the good ol' 'Best Friend' status somewhere in there.
    Some people are only Best Friend's with the person they married. Others have best friends outside of the person they married. Either way, their partner is considered their best friend.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 1:21 PM on Apr. 1, 2010

• in my opinion that it means that they will be one bored couple in time.
    I personally could never marry a 'best friend' - I can't picture getting turned on by a best friend.
    when I married, I wanted a good man that I could talk to - granted, that's what I have. b
    but I wanted passion- and again, that's what I have. :)
    Anonymous

• Anon: I think it all depends on how you define your best friend. I feel like I am married to my best friend and the fact that he turns me on (as you put it) is a part of what attracts me to him. The other parts are that he is the most amazing, involved and caring father I've ever known. That alone is a turn on. Then there's the fact that I can talk to him about anything. I trust him. He's a good man and our marriage certainly does not lack passion. It's possible to have it all tied up in one man.
    sillyt

Answer by sillyt at 2:10 PM on Apr. 1, 2010

• Well I feel like DH is my best friend because I tell him every thing, we have sooo much fun together, and hes the only person I can be around 24-7without getting annoyed.
    MiSs.SmOkEy

Answer by MiSs.SmOkEy at 2:12 PM on Apr. 1, 2010

• What's not to understand?
    Anonymous

• It means that the person you married is not only your husband, but the most wonderful FRIEND you have ever had. Friends have the most respect for each other. You can have a husband & not be good friends & have dis-respect in your marriage. Marrying your best friend is the only sure way of having a respectful loving marriage.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 3:33 PM on Apr. 1, 2010

• FYI, you can have plenty of passion with your best friend. I know because i married my best friend & we're very passionate with each other, & certainly do not have a "boring" marriage!
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 3:34 PM on Apr. 1, 2010

• For me it means that not only did you marry your lifemate and the our half of your heart but that he completes you. My husband and I have been married for almost 20 years and I don't think that we go one day without telling each other that we love each other at least once a day.I know that the day that I said "I Do," I married my best friend and our marriage has been anything but boring.Never be afraid to try something new with the one you love.
    killeennana09

Answer by killeennana09 at 3:42 PM on Apr. 1, 2010