how can i tell if he's really full, or faking it?

my son is a smart kid, and recently started telling me he's full, when i know he's really not, just so he can play outside. seems like he will do anything to get out of eating. now he even tries "mommy, im gonna puke", it's getting ridiculous! how am i supposed to know when he's actually FULL? i know i should just let it go.. and when he says hes full then let him be done.. but if he does this at EVERY meal, hes not eating very much at all throughout the day!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:22 PM on Apr. 1, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• A couple of things - make sure you've got a good idea of what a realistic portion size is for a child this age. Perhaps he is getting enough.

Second, I go with what my two say. If they say their full. They're full. However, if I gave them a reasonable serving size and they don't finish it, there are no snacks later when they're done playing and realize they weren't quite as content as they thought. Depending on when our next meal is, they can finish what they had left or they can have something healthy like some fruit, carrot sticks or a yogurt. It never takes long to get them both on board with eating until I'm "actually for real" done and not "done enough to play." ;)
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 1:27 PM on Apr. 1, 2010

• My son used to always do that to me.And it never failed that soon as I cleaned up the mess from lunch or dinner or whatever,he would say he was hungry again! He would just say he was full to get up and go play and he would think that he could just come back to the table, take a bite and go play again. I said no way. You sit, you eat,you go play and wait for snack time or the next meal. It took a few weeks and my being firm on it before he caught on.
    Now, I know how much he can eat,lol. So when he takes two bites of something and says he's full I know that its one of two things 1. He has something that he really wants to go play with OR 2. he has eaten some junk that he hid in his room and he's full from that, LOL Anyway, I remind him when he says he's full that I will be putting everything away so if he has ANY room in his tummy, he better eat it now or he's going to have to wait till next meal.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 1:32 PM on Apr. 1, 2010

• My dd and her younger brother (but not my oldest) always pull the "I'm full" card. With DD it was always because she didn't like the meal. I would tell her if she told the truth she could have some yogurt (or something else I know she would eat.) She would always tell the truth.

My youngest is more of a player. He would say "my tummy hurts" "well, then you must be sick and now you need to go potty and lie down." Sometimes he will immediately start eating more, sometimes he runs off to the potty. If it is obvious that he doesn't like what is being served I employ the "2 more bites" method and usually miscount a few times. When he is faking, he will fall for it, when he is full, it is 2 bites. I also warn that there will be no snacks if he isn't really full.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 1:40 PM on Apr. 1, 2010

• My son does that too, but I say:

Do you want some bagel bites? his favorite, he will say yes, then I would say your not full. :) Eat almost all your food.

That usually works!!
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 1:51 PM on Apr. 1, 2010

• I agree with the first poster....let it be, but, no snacks. He really may be full and pushing him to eat will cause issues.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 1:57 PM on Apr. 1, 2010

• No, you shouldn't let it go, because this could serious risk his health.
    Watch his eating patterns. If he ate a small breakfast, then he will need a pretty hardy lunch. If he decides that "He's full" when he's had two bites let him know he's not done. Make him aware of his eating habits of that day and tell him that he must eat at least half of what's on his plate before he can leave the table. If he decides that he's going to pull the "I'm going to puke" or "No mom, I'm really full" card, then he gets to sit at the table until he's finished the whole plate. By allowing him to get up from the table to go play you're enabling this bad behaviour. If an hour passes and he still hasn't eaten, then take the plate away. Let him know "You cannot go out to play and you do not get anymore food until dinner." Don't let him manipulate you.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 2:27 PM on Apr. 1, 2010

• I will tell you now...the AAP will back me on this...NEVER use the clean plate method with children, you are setting them up numerous problems in the future.

TAKEN FROM THE SITE:•Avoid the "clean plate syndrome." Forcing your child to eat all the food on his/her plate even when he/she is not hungry is not a good habit. It teaches your child to eat just because the food is there, not because he/she is hungry.

http://www.lpch.org/DiseaseHealthInfo/HealthLibrary/newborn/nfantfed.html
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 2:40 PM on Apr. 1, 2010

• My kids will do this too. I put their plate in the fridge. When they come back in 10 minutes complaining that they are hungry, they get their dinner.

Sometimes, it is hard to finish when there is so much else to be doing. :-)
    HistoryMamaX3

Answer by HistoryMamaX3 at 7:27 PM on Apr. 1, 2010

• I'm the 'mean' mom who will let them go hungry then.

One skipped meal won't kill them and you know what...when they're tummy is growling later and you tell them "but you were so full an hour ago" and they have to wait til the next meal to eat - they'll remember that! Some of you are nicer than I...once it's gone from the table; it's gone there is no re-heating later...this is meal time; you eat when & what you are served...that's how I was raised.

At this age they are still too young to "starve themselves" when they're hungry enough they will eat - my pedi said to concentrate on the week's intake rather than daily as they will go thru spurts at this age; eating everything then slowing down and back up again etc...
    beachmamaof2

Answer by beachmamaof2 at 8:56 PM on Apr. 1, 2010

• MY SON (5 SOON) DOES THE SAME THING ITS NICE TO SEE ALL THE OTHER POSTS MOST OF WHICH I HAVE DONE WITH HIM TOO. BUT NEVER FAILS IF HE DON'T LIKE IT OR WAS BUSY PLAYING BEFORE DINNER. HE WILL ALWAYS BE FULL. TONIGHT HE SAID THAT BUT WAS COMPLAINING OF "STARVING" BEFORE DINNER SO I LET HIM EAT CEREAL FOR DINNER AT LEAST I KNEW HE ATE! SURPRISINGLY ENOUGH HIS FAVORITE CEREAL IS SHREDDED WHEAT I THINK IT IS BECAUSE THE FROSTED SIDE HE THINKS HE IS GETTING PURE SUGAR HA HA
    MOMMA111

Answer by MOMMA111 at 4:19 AM on Apr. 3, 2010