If you saw a mother...?

If you saw a mother grabbing her 8-10 year old son by the back of the child's neck in order to dragging the child out of the store. Would you considered this an act of child abuse?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:33 PM on Apr. 1, 2010 in General Parenting

• Depends how it is done, I have put my hand onthe back of the neck with fingers on shoulders to guide my kids through crowds before, i didnt man handle them just put my hand on them. Also do you know this mother? Do you know her child? do you know the circumstances as to why she was having to leave the store?

See this is why i dont Assume I am seeing child abuse I dont know the situations of others, for all you know her son has a disability and this is the only way to get him out of the store.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 1:39 PM on Apr. 1, 2010

• no.
    phantomphan

Answer by phantomphan at 1:35 PM on Apr. 1, 2010

• nope.
    Anonymous

• no what is she supposed to do wait for him and let him know that he is in charge? or yell at him? i woulda done the same thing
    jaksonsmommy

Answer by jaksonsmommy at 1:38 PM on Apr. 1, 2010

• Not necessarily. What other people do is none of my business. If everyone in the world minded there own business the world may be a better place. I don't care for nosy people.

Anonymous

• no...not at all. You have to understand that some kids don't respect or listen to their parents the way others do. If you try talking and that doesn't work than a parent has the right to grab their child and escort them.

I'm obviously not condoning child abuse but in today's world our rights as parents are being taken away slowly but surly and it's not right. Kids know that parents are scared to discipline their kids these days and they take advantage of that.
    Anonymous

• no.
    Anonymous

• Most likely not. I have pulled my son by his arm before - not hard, but enough to get him to follow me. Sometimes kids refuse to listen.
    mickstinator

Answer by mickstinator at 1:44 PM on Apr. 1, 2010

• I wouldn't assume child abuse. I also put my hand on the back of my son's neck to steer him out of a store or where ever we are at. People may assume I am abusing him though since even if my hand is there lightly he will say I'm choking him.

JAIRATRACI

Answer by JAIRATRACI at 1:44 PM on Apr. 1, 2010

• " What other people do is none of my business. If everyone in the world minded there own business the world may be a better place. I don't care for nosy people."
    ask adults that were abused as a child how they feel about this attitude. So many people go on about how they want to stop child abuse. There's more to that than making donations and walking in marathons for abused kids.
    This particular case may or may not have been a abused child, but if this attitude continues then so will the abuse.

If people just keep turning their heads, how do you expect child abuse to ever be discovered? do you assume that a child who is brainwashed into thinking no one will ever believe them will speak up? and under the threat of another beating?
    if you think some of the behavior you see in the stores is bad, what do you think is going on behind closed doors?
    Children are a privilege, not a right.
    cont-
    Anonymous