Can no one Google anymore?

I understand asking for advice. I understand if you have researched and found conflicting answers. But, to straight up ask on here and not do any looking for yourself is just ridiculous. There are alot of misguided and ill informed moms on here. So, just by that, if you are dealing with a child under a year old it might be best to look it up as well. And, if someone posts an answer with a site conotated on it from a medical source, I would suggest giving that particular answer more a better look than the ones by the mom whose aunt's, sister's, babysitter's, best friend's idea was used by her and "didn't hurt her baby any". Especially when medical experts advise differently.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:07 PM on Apr. 1, 2010 in General Parenting

• You know there are times I have wondered this also, and its not just parenting advice or medical advice it is every day stuff, many times I google it then answer with links. Maybe some people dont understand google and figure it is easier to ask here hoping someone knows how and can do it. I do know people in real life who truly dont know how to google, what it is, or how it works.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 2:11 PM on Apr. 1, 2010

• OP here: That is sad...and it isn't that hard truly. Maybe there needs to be a "How To Google" section. LOL
    Anonymous

• Perhaps they're computer illiterate. Just because they have a computer and use it, doesn't mean they're familiar with all the search engines. In my book: you're either part of the solution or part of the problem. Which are you?
    Anonymous

• Why poke fun at people who don't know how to do something? At least, they had the courage to ask. Surely you've got some character defects, left unchecked. Why not get busy working on what you could improve in your own life?
    Anonymous

• OP here: I ALWAYS post my answer from the site with the site noted. So, the I do help. I am not making fun of anyone. And, if they found this site and were able to do anything else on a computer, they can type their question and figure out how to find the answer.
    Anonymous

• If you don't like the question and don't want to answer, don't. This question is a bigger waste of time than someone asking for advice on here instead of just using Google.
    Anonymous

• That is sad...and it isn't that hard truly. Maybe there needs to be a "How To Google" section. LOL

You ASS U ME a bit much. Have you ever worked with people in a computer lab, or illiteracy program? If you did, you would see how easily frustrated and confused they get. I don't consider it sad when people reach out for help. I consider sad when a person points a finger and forgets the other four pointing back at them. As incomprehensible as all this may be to you, I highly recommend you do some volunteer work, other than post sites, in addition to working on whatever your four fingers are pointing back at you for. For the record, I do a lot of volunteer work, so I'm speaking from experience and on behalf of those clients.

Anonymous

• When you are self diagnosing and treating, how does google know any better. It has a bunch of people that don't know what they are talking about or 'medical professionals' with vague descriptions and symptom lists that you look at and it could be one of 15 deadly disease, when really its a rash from strawberries.

Google, ask on here, its the same exact thing. For a real answer, they should just call their dr.
    aSoldierSWifE44

Answer by aSoldierSWifE44 at 3:00 PM on Apr. 1, 2010

• I agree with aSoldierSWifE44. If you want a real answer to a problem, ask a professional and/or make an appointment. Anything else, is speculation. All search engines on medical sites, etc., generally post a disclaimer. On general topics, you can find just as many "Pro" as "Con". Makes me think of Richard Pryor's joke, "Who you gonna believe, me or your lying eyeballs?"
    Ewadun

Answer by Ewadun at 9:02 PM on Apr. 1, 2010