lost mucus plug, should i go into L&D?

i had some bloody discharge this morning & with the help of some lovely cafemoms, we've deduced that it was probably my mucus plug. now that i know it was probably my mucus plug, what do i do next? i'm 39+ weeks, not having any contractions &i've shown no signs of my water breaking. should i go into L&D or wait until i start showing more definite signs of labor? if i call my doc, i know for sure he'll send me to L&D because he's extra cautious & would send me there if i told him an ant walked across my belly. i've been to L&D twice (decreased fetal movement &constant upper abdominal pain) to be sent home. each time my mom has had to miss work to watch my other children. i'd hate to have her miss another day for a false alarm. times are tough & she'll be losing money she really needs which is why i'm hesitant to run to L&D. anyway, is losing your mucus plug this late in pregnancy a sign of labor? should i wait or go?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:09 PM on Apr. 1, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Well, I will say this again..I lost my mucus plag and delivered within 1/2 hour. No water break. But I was having contractions.
    Walk around and see if some contractions begin.Once they are consistant then I would go in to L&D.
    If you didn't have the situation with having to get a babysitter and stuff, I would say just to go in to be safe.
    But really, sometimes having a baby can take a really long time and if your not having contractions yet...well you just never know.
    Walk around,take a nice warm shower...and just wait for another sign or symptom.
    Good Luck!!!! YAY! I'm excited for you! I'm only 16 weeks today with my 3rd...I wish I was 39 weeks,lol.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 2:17 PM on Apr. 1, 2010

• Do nothing. Wait and enjoy the no contraction day. You could still possibly be another 3 weeks from delivery, due dates are not an exact science and 42 weeks is still considered on time. So, unless you "KNOW" you are in labor, just go about your day as usual.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 2:15 PM on Apr. 1, 2010

• OH, and you can lose the plug long before you go into labor. Mine was out 2 weeks before.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 2:16 PM on Apr. 1, 2010

• I'd wait for more signs/symptoms before heading to L&D. If you feel ready for labor to start, then you might try walking a bit, but it still could be a while. Congrats & GL!
    Anonymous

• lol im going through the samething i lost my plug last nite n have been haveing really strong bh im waiting for the dr on calk to call me back
    rainmommy

Answer by rainmommy at 3:01 PM on Apr. 1, 2010

• i would definitely not go in. i went into labor like 3 days after i lost my mucus plug. for some it's longer. i would wait until i was really really in labor. like contractions a few minutes apart for an hour or 2. actually, my hospital is 70 minutes away and my provider today said to come when my ctx were 3-5 minutes apart for 2 hours. & this is my 2nd baby. i loved her for saying that and not saying come in the second you feel a contraction!!!
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 3:48 PM on Apr. 1, 2010

• You do not go to L&D for a lost mucus plug. You can even develop another mucus plug. You go to L&D if your water breaks or if you have 10 contractions in an hour.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 3:53 PM on Apr. 1, 2010

• I wouldnt go in. When I lost my mucus plug I didnt even call my doctor I already knew what it was. I lost it around 4pm and contractions started at 7pm and DS was delivered the next day 610. There is no point in going to the doctor for a lost mucus plug it can take up to weeks before you go into labor.
    MiSs.SmOkEy

Answer by MiSs.SmOkEy at 6:32 PM on Apr. 1, 2010