short, sharp pains...normal?

I am 34 weeks along, just today I've started having short, very sharp pains right along the vaginal area....is this normal? they only last a second or two, and aren't regular. maybe three or four pains within a minute and then none for five to ten minutes. not predictable at all.....just wondering

Adeline1210

Asked by Adeline1210 at 2:14 PM on Apr. 1, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Yes its normal and I have been having them since I was in my early 2nd trimester, they will come and go. Contractions are what you want to look out for and those usually arent sharp pains and are in your stomach. I think the sharp pain might either be from how baby is laying possibly on your nerves or your body preparing to push out a baby lol. I went to L&D for what your having because the sharp pains were getting so bad my body would jump at times cause it would come out of nowhere but I wasnt even dialated or anything when they checked me and baby was totally fine. However at 36 weeks I was dialated at a 2 already so maybe its a good sign we were having the sharp pains, maybe things will go faster for us :) I expect to go by next week or atleast thats the time frame my doctor gave me. Will see!! GL and congrats!
    LANDENSMOMMYlmk

Answer by LANDENSMOMMYlmk at 3:11 PM on Apr. 1, 2010

• totally normal, i'm 37 weeks and i've been getting these short pains for about a month or so. my doc said it's ligament stretching. just baby trying to make more room!
    xxluvya

Answer by xxluvya at 3:36 PM on Apr. 1, 2010

• yep, just another lovelt side effect of pregnancy :)
    erika_wright

Answer by erika_wright at 6:27 PM on Apr. 1, 2010