what is your opnion on homeschooling your child?

Not looking.to start a huge debate here. Im just looking for other peoples opnions on home schooling your child? My family opnions are very different then mine. My son is autsitic and should start school this coming year but he is not fully potty trained and DOES NOT do well with change. I am thinking about home schooling him half a day and enrolling him in a preschool or daycare for the mornings to maybe help make going to kindergarden a little easier for him. I am just very torn between my familys opnions and thought an outside view might help.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:17 PM on Apr. 1, 2010 in General Parenting

• Honestly, if I had the patience for my son that I once used to, I would love to home school him. If I could do it without going crazy, I would do it in a heartbeat.
    Family is important and so is thier opinion but above that, your opinion as your sons mother outweighs thier opinion. You're the one that will be doing it, not them.Youre the one withhim everyday,not them.Do what you feel is right for your son and what you feel is best.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 2:21 PM on Apr. 1, 2010

• I would love to be able to homeschool my son. He is bright, but, cannot concentrate in school. He would do well homeschooled or in a different kind of school environment. However, I am single and have to work and cannot afford the other kind of school. My family also flip out over the idea of homeschool. They think he will be like the EXTREME version of it. I tried to explain it isn't like that anymore, but, no go.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 2:23 PM on Apr. 1, 2010

• I am actually going to start homeschooling next year. I have not been happy with the public school system here.
    ldsdragonmom

Answer by ldsdragonmom at 2:26 PM on Apr. 1, 2010

• I am for homeschooling if the parents can have some kind of structure, the parent can offer the child the same or better education than the local school, & if the child still gets to be around other children. Your son is young it would be easy to homeschool him all day if you wanted.. do what best for you & your son, don't worry about your family.
    maiahlynn

Answer by maiahlynn at 2:26 PM on Apr. 1, 2010

• I am neither for or against homeschooling--it has pros and cons just like public school. OP, in a situation like yours, it sounds like homeschooling would be the best option right now. I would recommend an educational social group for your son in addition to homeschooling--search your city for information about groups for your child.

I babysat an autistic boy from when he was 17-24 years old. He was enrolled in the special ed program at high school, graduated, and is currently part of an Autism group that engages Autistic individuals in community service. It's great stimulation and integrates them into society.
    Mousuke

Answer by Mousuke at 2:31 PM on Apr. 1, 2010

• I think homeschooling is really great for situations just like yours. Public schools are made to serve pupils that are similar to everyone else and clearly you son has special challenges. While I do know that schools go out of their way, and are required to do so, to treat the educational needs of special students, that doesn't always mean that the child couldn't be better served in a different environment like homeschool. I like your idea of taking on part of the teaching yourself and enrolling your son in preschool part time, because then he benefits from the best of both worlds, your loving teaching at home and the professional and social qualities of the school. I think especially at this age, with some research on your part you should be able to help him learn what he needs to know. Once he is older and dealing with more advanced subjects that could be more difficult. Lastly, Mama usually knows best, so go with your gut.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 2:34 PM on Apr. 1, 2010

• I homeschool my 2 boys and it's been one of the best decisions we ever made. No one knows your child like you do. I'm the group owner of Christian Homeschoolers here on Cafemom if you'd like to stop by for some encouragment. There are also other homeschooling groups on Cafemom that can be helpful to you as well. BTW, many of the kids in my local homeschooling group are autistic and they are thriving being homeschooled.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 2:59 PM on Apr. 1, 2010

• I'm going to homeschool my kids when they are older. lol, they are only 2 and 8mo right now. but. yea
    khf22

Answer by khf22 at 3:08 PM on Apr. 1, 2010

• It depends on the district where you live. We have excellent programs for your son here in our district, but sadly that is not the case in all districts. Your plan sounds good, but does your district offer half day Kindergarten? That would let you and your son test drive the resources available before you try a full day at school. Is there a dual enroll option in your district? We have a dual enroll option where the students can do on-line learning from home and still come to school for the services you need. Receiving services at school is convenient and already paid for through your tax dollars-but you need to make sure they are quality services, but that is the most important thing. I would contact your school or district and see about setting up a meeting with student support services so you can work together to put together a plan-guidance from a professional is essential CONT
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 3:17 PM on Apr. 1, 2010

• regardless of what you decide to do. I would not go head first into home schooling with out at least talking with the district yourself to see what is available. I have heard from parents that sometimes parent support groups are full of anti-public school parents. I understand some may have had bad experiences, but those are their experiences-not yours. You need to see whats available and then make the choice that works best for you and your child. I hope you have quality public schools in your area because everyone should have access to a quality school- if they decide against it, that is fine-but the schools need to be high quality and willing to work with you. I know we strive for this daily!
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 3:21 PM on Apr. 1, 2010