sleeping for my 8 month old

My baby goes to bed around 7ish....I can't get her to stay up later, and wakes up about 5:30-6:30. Other babies I know sleep at least 12 straight hours. Suggestions? I think part of the problem is that she is rolling all over and rolls into the side of the crib and hits her head and then gets stuck and can't get out of the corner. Do I get a bumper?

Newmommy931

Asked by Newmommy931 at 2:32 PM on Apr. 1, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• sounds like you could try a bumper but the most effective way for her to sleep later is to put her to bed later...
    Anonymous

• keep her up somehow untill maybe 8 one night then 9 the next night, just play with her, tickle, make funny faces, do exciting things so she can't go to sleep.. .sounds kinda mean but hey, life's short and we all do it differently! good luck!
    Anonymous

• That is 10-11 hours....go to bed earlier. She is getting plenty of sleep.
    Anonymous

• She's getting TONS of sleep, mama. In fact, she's sleeping an unusually long night. Twelve hours in a row is actually a bit "odd" in that most babies will not do that. FIVE hours is sleeping through the night. More than that is gravy.

Leave baby alone. She's sleeping great and if you mess with it she'll start waking every hour.

The ONLY thing you need consider is putting her down a bit later, unless that would make her overtired. If that's the case, you need to put yourself to bed earlier. **smile**

Answer by gdiamante at 4:44 PM on Apr. 1, 2010

• And yes...you can get a bumper. Don't expect it to make her sleep but get it to protect her head.

Answer by gdiamante at 4:45 PM on Apr. 1, 2010

• Wow! I envy you I also have an 8 month old, he will be 9 months on the 11th and he decided about 1 month ago he didn't want to sleep through the night anymore...he is typically in bed by 9/10 wakes up around 3-4 a.m. sometimes earlier for a midnight snack...it's wearing me out!
    LuvmyFam6

Answer by LuvmyFam6 at 5:00 PM on Apr. 1, 2010

• My 8 month sleeps 12-13 hours and that's SUPER for a baby this young. I have 6 friends and family that have babies 1-2 moths apart from mine, and only ONE sleeps more than 8 hrs besides my own. Count your blessings honey!

Mine goes to bed at 6:30 and wakes up at 7, 8 some days. Im a night owl, so I feel your pain, but you have to adjust to the baby not the other way around. I sooo don't mean to bash, I hope you didn't take it that way, im just saying ajusting to their sleep patterns is tough for night owls but its gotta be done! :) be glad, some babies don't sleep that much straight even at 18 months!
    MandiDueAug09

Answer by MandiDueAug09 at 9:58 PM on Apr. 1, 2010

• Oh....and def get a bumper if she's hitting her head :) I took mine down because it made it tough to raise and lower the side, but he's gotten really active in there so we are putting it back up 2morrow. Good luck honey!
    MandiDueAug09

Answer by MandiDueAug09 at 10:01 PM on Apr. 1, 2010