Trying to poo but vomitted

So my 22 month old son was trying to poo and his tummy got really distended and then he burped and threw up. Should I be concerned? His poop is a little diarrhea-ish. Like watered down mash potatoes and it's not hard so I don't think he is constipated. He poops like 5-6 times a day everyday. Should I be conerned or has this happened to your LO?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:39 PM on Apr. 1, 2010 in Kids' Health

• If he is having a hard time trying to poop and what does come out is liquidy, then he may be constipated. What happens is that the liquidy stuff behind the hard stuff gets squished out around the hard stuff when your child strains to go. You could try giving him a baby laxative to see if that helps him to go or do an enema. If he doesn't go and if he starts to complain of tummy/lower abdominal pain, develops a fever and/or continues to vomit while straining to go, I would take him to the doc because he could have an impaction, which could be very dangerous.
    Anonymous

• Sounds like he has tummy issues Iwould just watch him limit the dairy and see how it goes.
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 10:22 AM on Apr. 2, 2010

• My 3 year old puked all over a restaurant the other day, and right before she did, she tried to go to the bathroom. I think at this age, they don't understand the feeling, and assume they need to poop. She was so upset, because she thought poop came out of her mouth. It was chocolate milk puke. Eww.
    whiteroses82

Answer by whiteroses82 at 2:05 PM on Apr. 2, 2010

• sounds like a blockage. His body is trying to expell it. Give him miralax to help him work it out. Then add benefiber to his drink everyday to keep it from happening again.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 10:00 AM on Apr. 4, 2010

• Add extra fiber and water to his diet. I would take him to the Dr just to be on the safe side though.
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 10:39 AM on Sep. 15, 2010