doctors

Why is it that people think that the kids have to go to the doctor at the drop of the hat? If the child is not running a huge fever or vomiting blood give it 24 hours to run the course. Why do you want to run and pay for the doctor to tell you to do what you were already doing? I had to pay a doctor recently to look in my daughters ear and tell me that it was an ear infection like I told them on the phone because I needed meds. However, when the runns and throwing up went thru my family we stayed home and took care of our selves. We did not want to spread what we had all over the city because we were sick and that is what the doctor is for to make us well. Well, if it is a 24 hour virus that will run its course than it will not run it faster if you go see the doctor!!

tichelle

Asked by tichelle at 2:58 PM on Apr. 1, 2010 in Health

• IDK, I guess I don't really care what other people take their children to the doctor for
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 3:00 PM on Apr. 1, 2010

• I do daycare, and I wish parents would take their kids more often. At least as often as they go themselves. I have children who come here that are noticably sick, can't play, lay around, cry and don't want to eat. I send them home and they are back the next day... same thing. Send them home again. Ended up this poor child had a strep infection and never ran a fever. The mother kept telling me over and over she is "teething". She says the same thing about her 6 year old son. Whenever he is sick, he is teething. But the parents go to the doctor when they get it. They both stay home from work if they have a headache. I jokingly asked her one time if she was teething . She didn't find it funny. I just wish parents would keep their kids home when they are sick.
    Anonymous

• well, in my opinion, it's a little child with an immune system that is still developing and pretty sensitive.. not an adult who already knows their body and has a stronger immune system.. plus, if there is something wrong with your child and you took them too late and something bad happened to them because of that, you would feel like a scumbag of a parent :( i also wish people would take their children more often, too. I don't want to get sick because the sick kid's parent does not want to pay for a doctor. you know?
    Anonymous

• I agree with you, however I have 17 years of mothering experience under my belt now.  When I was a new mom with my first baby, I was inexperienced and would worry myself sick when my baby was ill.  At least I was living in England, which meant doctors were free and they made house calls.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 3:30 PM on Apr. 1, 2010

• i don''t rush to the dr. my kids rarely get anything besides a cold...so we watch them closely, keep them comfy and keep them hydrated. i breastfeed my babies, so none of them have gotten sick as babies. that would be the scary part...a sick baby. i believe prevention is the best approach.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 3:46 PM on Apr. 1, 2010

• As a general rule if it is something the doctor can fix (help with) go, if not don't go. Sometimes it isn't easy to figure out which one you are dealing with. Other times it is very obvious.
    Anonymous

• "I don't want to get sick because the sick kid's parent does not want to pay for a doctor. you know? "

Doctors are not magicians; most of the time it is not something that requires medical care. I'm not going to take them to the doctor just to be told "it's a virus," to appease you. But when my son had blood shot eyes, pain from coughing and a fever I did take him--he had pink eye and bronchitis; this was something a doctor could help with. The antibiotics cleared up the pink eye, and the other meds helped open his airways and allow him to sleep.

My first child's first sick visit turned out to be a waist of time with some "just in case" antibiotics thrown in. He did not need another sick visit for another 5 years. In between those visits he had a few colds. My 3.5 year old has never needed to go to the doctor for illness.
    happytexasCM

Answer by happytexasCM at 5:26 PM on Apr. 1, 2010

• Because I'm on the side of caution. I live 10 minutes from the Talala-Oolagah school district that you've probably seen on the news. That little boy was acting sickly and was taken to the doctor, and now all of his limbs had to be amputated and his poor face is unrecognizable- and they're saying he's a lucky one for just being alive?! "Little things" like a fever can be meningitis and kill your child. After that happening so close to home, I'd be ignorant not to take things seriously.
    ohsowonderful

Answer by ohsowonderful at 6:32 PM on Apr. 1, 2010

• My kids only go to the doctor for well visits and if something looks like it might need an antibiotic. If they just have a cold or a stomach bug I wait it out.
    babyfat5

Answer by babyfat5 at 10:35 PM on Apr. 1, 2010

• As a first-time parent, (if what I was seeing was more than a cold) I often didn't know what was going on, and how to best help it.

My daughter got croup as just a baby, and we went to the doctor, who was able to identify that is was croup, and teach us techniques to help her breathing that I wouldn't have known to do. Sure, she didn't need antibiotics or any special prescribed medicine, but I'm really glad we went for that visit just for the diagnosis and education to go with it.

Anonymous