Additional question from Cafe Standards question

Since this new cafe standard is based off of highway miles I was wondeing if you drove more in town driving or more on the highway? I would think the "in the city" number is more important to most people but they always tout the highway numbers. am I wrong? I don't drive highways unless we are going out of town so 35 on the highway means little to me.

itsmesteph11

Asked by itsmesteph11 at 3:09 PM on Apr. 1, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• 90 percent of my driving is highway driving. My one way commute is 53 miles, all but about four on the freeway. I *used* to do more surface street driving, when I was working at the station ten miles form my house. Too bad the owners drove the place into the ground.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:34 PM on Apr. 1, 2010

• I live in an area where the majority - not all, but the majority - of employed residents commute 40-75 minutes each way daily. Most of this is on one of the major toll-roads running through the state.

I work only 2 days a week and I get to my office (an hour commute) on back roads because I hate high-speed, crazed commuters on the toll road after a horrific accident I was in on that road this past year. However, my DH commutes 75 minutes each way, daily on highways. Today he drives a compact car because the mpg is very much a factor in our decision of what car to buy and, since his car is mostly for his commute, the highway number is a big factor. For me? Most of my driving is stop and go "city" driving. However, the mileage on my new car is much better in BOTH categories than it had been on my old car. While I'm not getting 27 mpg I can get when I'm on the highway, I'm doing MUCH better even locally.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 3:35 PM on Apr. 1, 2010

• Most of my driving is on the highway.
    DEpley

Answer by DEpley at 6:11 PM on Apr. 1, 2010

• I'm a city girl, work in the city and drive in the city. My car gets great mileage on the freeway, though, so-so in the city. Lots of people commute on the freeway, I would guess it's impossible to get a consistent reading for city drivers since the circumstances vary so much, so they have to use something that they can consistently compare.
    stacymomof2

Answer by stacymomof2 at 8:04 PM on Apr. 1, 2010

• Most of my driving is in town.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 8:07 PM on Apr. 1, 2010

• City. When I lived in Chicago and had an hour commute, it was more highway - but that's still not a realistic number. Some days you actually travel at highway speed, and some days you sit in traffic for an hour, roll at 5 mph for 60 feet, stop for 2 minutes, roll another 100 feet, etc. It was an hour commute, but I didn't go more than 20 miles, and 3/4 of that was on the tollway. And it's seasonal, too. Those highway miles in August aren't quite the same when the road is a sheet of ice in January.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:24 AM on Apr. 2, 2010

• Thats right, You don't drive on the highway. Its always about YOU, and not whats best for most.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:20 AM on Apr. 2, 2010