• In the Spotlight:

What unexpected things have scared your child?

Kids can be scared of lots of things, but occaissionally you find something completely unexpected scares them. Last night we had mashed potatoes with our dinner, which I would think is pretty normal and non-frightening. My 2 1/2 year old daughter started freaking out. "No snowman! Snowman scary! Lea scared! Snowman off! Snowman off!" She was pale and shaking all over. She was terrified of her mashed potatoes!

Has anything completely unexpected scared your child(ren)?

TweenAndTwinMom

Asked by TweenAndTwinMom at 3:11 PM on Apr. 1, 2010 in General Parenting

• That's so funny! I haven't read the other responses yet but I have a great video of my daughter at about 8 months old watching me play a jack in the box for her and as soon as the monkey pops up she lets out this horrible scream. I'm sorry if it's mean, but it's the most hilarious video.
    mybella81

Answer by mybella81 at 4:32 PM on Apr. 1, 2010

• The shower drain. It makes those low gurgling noises when water goes down, and my daughter swears that there is a monster in the drain because of it.
    kittyhasclaws

Answer by kittyhasclaws at 3:13 PM on Apr. 1, 2010

• Louder noises, like a mixer or blender. When he was under a year...he would FLIP out!!!!
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 3:16 PM on Apr. 1, 2010

• we were at a birthday party and it horrified my son that they were hitting the spiderman head pinata with a stick. he didn't talk very much at the time, he was not even 18 mos yet...but he talked about this event for months!

my 2 yo dd is afraid of a furreal pig, only when it moves.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 3:19 PM on Apr. 1, 2010

• I yelled at my dd, because she was upstairs and I was asking her where her shoes were. I guess I never yell, because my 18 month old ran to the corner, hiding and physically shaking, crying "noise noise". We're around loud noises a lot, but I never thought it would scare her to holler up the stairs!
    whiteroses82

Answer by whiteroses82 at 3:21 PM on Apr. 1, 2010

• lmao these responses are soooo funny. my 5 yr old was scared of santa (at the mall) for the longest bc my mom told her he hides in her closet at night making sure she was asleep! she wanted to scare her into going to bed lol! she also used to be terrified if i pretended to be a monster (with a sheet over my head) she would cry and cry and smack me in the head lol!
    secondtyme520

Answer by secondtyme520 at 3:39 PM on Apr. 1, 2010

• Secondtyme520: this is the third time I have seen you post something about your child that seemed just wrong. Puposely scaring her, feeding her cereal WAY to early and in her bottle despite knowledge of it being wrong and starting whole milk way to early as well. Wow...not cool.

Doing stuff your own way is fine, but, when you know better and still do it and then recommend it to everyone who will listen....You also keep saying, "Oh, my child is fine." Well, you just don't know. Things change, just because it was "OK: for babies 30 years ago, doesn't mean it's ok now.
    Anonymous

• We were in the car and it was dark out, my daughter had a flashlight and shined it on th ceiling and my 20 month old started screaming like I've never heard him scream before. The light moving all over the ceiling like totally freaked him out. He was doing everything he could to try and get out of his carseat.
    HannahLee87

Answer by HannahLee87 at 3:46 PM on Apr. 1, 2010

• when my son was 3, his cousin's were watching Austin Powers and when mini-me came onscreen, he flipped out! He actually refused to go in the house if that movie was on! My niece tried saying "It's mini-me, he's funny!" but all that made him do was scream "NO MINI ME!! NO MINI ME!"
    nmmama09

Answer by nmmama09 at 3:47 PM on Apr. 1, 2010

• to anon 346- I've seen plenty of stuff posted like that from her too- I can see your point.
    Anonymous