My 9yr DD seems to be in her "own world" in class! Help!

Just had a teacher conf. and the teacher is worried that my DD is trying to "escape" too much of the time. She seems to always be daydreaming or reading a book. I'm so confused as to what to do next. I have booked the DR appt. and will get the psychologist referal at that time. But what can I do in the mean time. We have had a load of chaos in the past year. We moved, my grandma died, I had back surgery, and my sister is in rehab very sick. I know I have shared too much information with my DD about her Aunt, but I can't change the past. I just want to move forward and do the best from this point. Any suggestions?

ally418

Asked by ally418 at 3:24 PM on Apr. 1, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• She likes to read and daydream? That sounds like a horrible child! put her on MEDS asap for reading and having an imagination!

Im kidding^^^ Maybe she is bored and needs a faster pace or maybe its to hard. Can you ask her whats wrong?
    ryanlynn

Answer by ryanlynn at 3:31 PM on Apr. 1, 2010

• If being in her own world is new then it could be stress or possibly depression due to the events of the past year. If she's always been in her own world, then you might want to consider ADD. I think going to your doctor is a good idea in either situation. My daughter is and always has been in her own world; she has ADHD. I hope this year is better for you and your family.
    Anonymous

• School is so boring. You can equal or better a public school education in about an hour of homeschooling a day. She isn't the one with the problem.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 3:36 PM on Apr. 1, 2010

• Wow...that was SO me at that age. I was flipping B O R E D and reading was my way of filling classroom time without being disruptive. My grades were through the roof, I'd get all my classwork done WAY before the teacher was through explaining everything and some teachers were dumb enough to post the day's homework on the board at the beginning of the day, so I'd finish that in class also. Then I'd stare out the window or read books while everyone else was toiling over classwork. I wasn't disruptive, I wasn't behind, my grades weren't dropping.

In the mean time, with everything that has happened in your life, she may be escaping because she's slightly depressed. A move, a death, and then an aunt in rehab.....get her some counseling and see if that helps.
    Good luck!!!
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 6:55 PM on Apr. 1, 2010

• Sounds like a good kid to me that is just bored with her grade level & instead of being obnoxious & disrupting class she's reading or doing other things instead. She doesn't sound ADD at all! If this is all new like when everything started then maybe it is depression, but I would really try talking to her before you send her to a psych, you don't want her thinking she can't come to you when she has problems or else you'll send her to the Dr.
    briandaddie

Answer by briandaddie at 9:47 PM on Apr. 2, 2010

• Yea I'd sit down with her first, a shrink isnt always the answer. Really doesnt sound ADD or ADHD to me, I had a stepson that age that was and we couldnt pay him to read or sit still. She may just be a child that loves to read, its hard to find those these days. If her grades are changing, and she's not acting really strange i'd tell the teachers to shove it, they have other htigns to worry about besides a quiet child whose reading
    GothicMama

Answer by GothicMama at 2:19 PM on Apr. 3, 2010

• Well, thats exactly what I used to do, so after some testing, the shools put me in gifted and talented classes.
    wendy46121

Answer by wendy46121 at 4:27 PM on Apr. 3, 2010