If you were suddenly in charge..

What would you do? No congress, nothing stands in your way. Do what you want. Reasonably what would you do to improve the US?

sopranomommy

Asked by sopranomommy at 3:24 PM on Apr. 1, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• 1. Build more jails and make people actually serve their sentence. 2. Make dug testing mandatory for aid of any kind. 3. Make teachers pass tests every few years to make sure they can teach. 4. Stream line the foster system to get kids out of bad homes and into good homes quicker. 5. Make tougher laws about mentally ill people taking their medication.
    BlooBird

Answer by BlooBird at 3:29 PM on Apr. 1, 2010

• Give everyone a free vanilla icecream cone from DairyQueen! LOL
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 3:30 PM on Apr. 1, 2010

• Shred the health care bill and rewrite it to where, everyone on medicaid has to take 6 random drug tests a year for every year that they are on public aid of any sort. Require that health insurance companies charge no more than 100 / person / month for basic service w/ a 500 deductible and that no one can be denied. I'd make MJ legal and put a 10% tax on it, if got growing it their would be a fine. I would revamp the prison system to as to where if you murder or molest a child you would be dumped on a island and left to fend for your self. For drug offenses I would require 1 yr rehab instead of being locked up.

youngmom33

Answer by youngmom33 at 3:33 PM on Apr. 1, 2010

• Make mentally ill people take their meds. I like that one. AZ does something that is good. They give people that are classified as Severely Mentally Ill (SMI) their meds and psychiatric care free unless they have a lot of income.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 3:33 PM on Apr. 1, 2010

• My daughter (8) asked me and my husband this in the car the other day! Great question! lol

She said if you were President RIGHT NOW, What is the FIRST thing you would do????

My hubby told her GIVE EVERYONE HEALTH CARE! lol

I asked her what SHE would do, and true to her nature she said she would make sure poeple had doctors like Daddy said and then (what she REALLY wanted to say first! lol) she would make sure all animals have a safe place to live..Bless her lil heart..she will probably be a VEGAN one day.....for now, Momma likes steak so,,,

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 3:39 PM on Apr. 1, 2010

• I would change insurance back to its inception when it paid for hospitalization and testing. When we were kids and went to the doctor mom wrote a check for the visit. Bloodwork, xrays and the like should be covered 100%. For those who are unable to do so and have frequent doc visits medicaid would kick in. For an occasional illness the doctor can make an arrangement with the person or do it for free and write if off on his or her taxes. I believe doctors and hospitals raised their rates partially because it was no longer their patients money they were taking it was an insurance company's. I know of some docs now that charge self pay patients less. If we take the insurance company out of the mix for the most part the cost of healthcare would come down.
    sopranomommy

Answer by sopranomommy at 4:03 PM on Apr. 1, 2010

• 1) Instant life in prison or death penalty for ALL convicted murderers and sex offenders. No get out of jail free cards or "good behavior" let outs. Sure child molesters are on good behavior in prison there aren't any toddlers to rape there!
    2) I would have stricter punishment on all criminals. In our system people know that if they do something illegal they will get a slap on the wrist. Worst case scenario they get to sit in jail with a bunch of thug friends watching tv, working out and getting free benefits.
    3) I would take over the public school system entirely. The parents and the faculty get very little say so. A bunch of overpaid mainly men make the rules. These are the same people that probably never had kids or went to public school themselves.
    4) I would make it illegal for American companies to outsource jobs.
    Anonymous

• I agree with ap if you are forced to pay for health insurance what good does it do the normal person who pays the monthly amount but then can't afford the copays, lab and hospital fees and coinsurance? I pay $248 a month for insurance yet if I go to the ER for a short stay where very little is done they still charge me $1200 out of pocket with their inflated prices saying that is my 20% coinsurance price. It should be illegal for hospitals to give you a pill that you have in your purse (they wont allow you to take your own medication at most hospitals you must use theirs) ok so you buy an entire month of pills for $10 and they make you use theirs and charge you $28 for one pill. That should be illegal! They also shouldn't charge you a facility charge when you are in the ER for an hour. I was charged $598 for a facility charge I was in the ER for 25 minutes. So basically they charge people rent at hugely inflated prices
    Anonymous

• Oh all death-row would be on full force! No waiting... convicted? Max stay 30days then off to the needle. Kick every single illegal out. Let the states(people vote) decide what they want to charge for immigrants. Make a stricter limit for PA 6 months tops you don't find a job? you can apply for a 30 day extension. Drug testing for PA users.True Health care reform. Bomb the shit out of Iran (No troops just a big ass bomb) like we did to Japan. I could go on all day. But thats not how it works. :P
    Crissy1213

Answer by Crissy1213 at 4:29 PM on Apr. 1, 2010

• #1 thing, balance the budget!!!!!!!!! NO MORE SPENDING!!!
    TBandNCmommy

Answer by TBandNCmommy at 5:37 PM on Apr. 1, 2010